Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Feedback: Yamaha Kodiak 400

I bought a Big Bear 400 in Sept of 2004 and really like it. I have over 1400 miles on it and have had no trouble. I assume that the Big Bear 400 and Kodiak 400 have the same motor, and if that is the case, it is a strong one. You have a great, hardworking ATV that if ridden properly should last you many years. Good luck and have fun breaking your Kodiak in.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Feedback: Yamaha Kodiak 400

Tips: watch the fluids, keep the gas fresh (meaning if not going on a long run don't fill it and leave it sit for extended periods), vary the throttle (yes blam on it for short burst every once in awhile) and in the first 10 hours make sure that you let it cool between rips (ie: drive it for 15 minutes and let it cool down for 5). At 15-20 hours take it in and have it's first service performed to ensure all fillings are removed from the fluids and cables adjusted for stretch. Make sure to clean and oil the foam filter every 10-20 hours depending on the conditions (spare plugs, filterand fluids is always a good thing to have on hand). Once this is done change fluids as stated or if you swamp out the bike for some reason. Watch your coolant level during break in and if yours is equipped with a fan as well expect it to run a lot during your break in period.

I have been running a 05 450 Kodiak and it has been an excellent bike. Last week it had no problems hooking onto 2 bull elk and hauling them out of the sticks. I have50 hours on it with no hint of problems. EBS is awesome and in low hardly ever need to touch the brakes. 4x4 system has proved excellent and yet to deploy the winch(but I do have aftermarket tires on her). Handles excellent, but I too quickly bumped the shock setting up to stiffen the ride and cut down on diving/rolling under load. Mine are set at the max 5 for both front and rear(factory setting is 2, BTW). Only complaint is needing to press the brake to get in and out of Reverse.

Enjoy