Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Headlamp help

Old 09-12-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Headlamp help

Afer looking at all the choice of headlamps, I need some help in choosing a good headlamp for walking in & out of hunting areas before & after dark.
Old 09-12-2005, 06:55 PM

Default RE: Headlamp help

You can buy a Petzel or Black Diamond if you want to spend the $$$, but I would highly recommend the Rayovac (12.96 at walmart). It has 2 red LEDs, 1 white, and one white Krypton bulb. You can use any one lightat a time. I use the red for walking in/out during gun season,the krypton for blood trails, and none for bow season. Using the LEDs you get long battery life, the krypton will drain faster......3AAAs. I've had petzels, which are quality lights, but I like my cheepo Rayvac 10x better.
Old 09-12-2005, 08:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Basswacker:
You can buy a Petzel or Black Diamond if you want to spend the $$$, but I would highly recommend the Rayovac (12.96 at walmart). It has 2 red LEDs, 1 white, and one white Krypton bulb. You can use any one light at a time. I use the red for walking in/out during gun season, the krypton for blood trails, and none for bow season. Using the LEDs you get long battery life, the krypton will drain faster......3AAAs. I've had petzels, which are quality lights, but I like my cheepo Rayvac 10x better.
I couldn't agree more.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:50 PM

Check out the Petzl E48P Zipka Plus Headlamp. It has no weight and has multiple light settings as well. Burns from 80-400 hours on a set of batteries. What I like most is the lack of a headstrap. Instead, it uses a heavy retractable thread. It can be worn on your head (of course), your wrist if you're skinning after dark, or wrapped around anything. VERY useful.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me guess Highpower........$25+ ($30?).
Old 09-14-2005, 05:58 AM

You're right, $25-$30. But in all fairness, I don't buy the cheapest scope I can find at WalMart for my rifles either.You get what you pay for.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:35 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Highpower
You're right, $25-$30. But in all fairness, I don't buy the cheapest scope I can find at WalMart for my rifles either.You get what you pay for.
I use the Petzel it may cost more but I useat work for night work as a linemanand has held up pretty well. Can't remember the last time I changed batteries and used it 2 days ago on a blood trail for a whitetail. The LED's are much better for seeing blood, but in all honesty I ended up breaking out the Coleman lantern since the deerwas in the backyard 100 yards from the garage.
Old 09-14-2005, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

some of the new l.e.d. types dont throw light that good. i have the petzel and its light weight but the streamlight headlight with the green light in it works much better and i feel doesnt spook game as bad.
Old 09-14-2005, 08:14 PM

I've been using this light for 5 or 6yrs...it's a good one. Headlamp
Old 09-14-2005, 08:17 PM

I too prefer the rayovac from walmart. My hunting buddies have petzals and other high dollar lights and they all like mine the most. I've had mine for 3 years and I'm still using the batterys that came with it.

Quick Reply: Headlamp help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.