Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

FEEDBACK ON L/WOLF CLIMBING STICKS

Old 09-05-2005, 05:49 PM

Default FEEDBACK ON L/WOLF CLIMBING STICKS

HAD SOME QUESTIONS ON THESE STICKS:

1- EXACTLY HOW DO U SET THEM UP ON A TREE I.E. TYPE & EASE OF USE ON STRAP ETC?
2- ARE THEY GOOD & STURDY?
3- CAN 1 PERSON SET THEM UP (SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO CARRY EA. ONEUP TREE?

I CURRENTLY OWN API'S CLIMBING STICKS AND THEY WORK WELL BUT THEY ARE BULKY, HEAVY AND THE BUCKLES ARE A BIT DIFFICULT TO JOIN WHILE SETTING UP.

THANKS!!

Old 09-09-2005, 10:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: FEEDBACK ON L/WOLF CLIMBING STICKS

Hello
I have the lone wolf climbing sticks. I'll try to answer your questions from my experience. I bought four sticks before last season. They seem to set up easily, set them against the tree, fasten the strap around the knob and pull the strap tight. As far as question 2, they are good and sturdy once snugged up to the tree. The steps have a neat feature to go either to the left or the right of the stick, so you don't need to think about using them in any particular order. These are the only sticks I've owned, but I have climbed on a different set that somebody else owned and these are far and away better than those were.
Now question number 3. These sticks pack reasonably well and with a couple of bungee cords can be carried in quietly attached to a stand. The problem I find with using sticks, is that I like to start from the ground and ascend the tree never coming back to the ground, I've not figured out how to do this successfully with the sticks. The first stick, maybe the second can be set up from the ground, but as you ascend its hard to take another stick without making noise and attach it while balancing. Its seems best to remove the stand from my back, leave it at the base of the tree until all the sticks are set up, then come down and retrieve the stand for the final trip up the tree. In this fashion I have the third and fourth stick slung over my shoulder as I ascend on the second stick. Still theres a chance that these clang together as I ascend. I'm not totally impressed with the use of sticks, I'd rather use my lone wolf climber instead.
I hope this helps.
Dan
Old 09-11-2005, 09:54 PM

thanks for the help...was beginning to wonder if anyone was out there!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:59 PM

Hi there - just getting back on the forum as the season approaches. I have 3 sets of the sticks. Agree on setup. I would say impossible to ascend the tree once. I do the same - take gear to the base and start seting sticks ascending to attach each one.

They do attach to trees very quickly and are very stable. I have used several climbing sticks and will take the lone wolf over everything. They will allow you to adapt to the tree. In my area, trees that are climbable are hard to find so use hanging stands. I think they are great in that environment. The offset gets your feet away from the trees so you can lean in to free your hands to do the work.

Don't get me wrong - an aluminum extension ladder for setup would be preferred!

Good luck with the sticks.