Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Binoculars?

Old 08-29-2005, 09:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Binoculars?

Thanks for the comments guys. All appreciated. I am still torn between 8x32s or 10x42s to augment my selection. I thought I had a really nice deal on an excellent pair of 8x32s but the shop is currently out of stock on them. That has me looking at other models. At the moment, here is what I am considering....

Nikon Monarch 10x42
Zeiss Conquest 8x30
Wind River Olympics 10x50
Browning 8x32s
Pentax HRIIs 10x42
Nikon HG 8x32s

Mustad,

Interesting comments but totally understandable. A 6x magnification probably would look somewhat inadequate for glassing farther distances though I bet it provides a relatively wide field of view considering the objective/magnification combination. Interestingly enough, the Cornell Birding Lab, one of the more highly regarded binocular review resources, rated the 6x32 Katmai as their top pick for the low to mid cost category.

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/Publications/LivingBird/winter2005/Age_Binos.html

Here is a quote of their comments.....

Top-rated among the 27 models in this category was the Leupold Wind River 6x32 Katmai, which has a bright clear image, compact and eyeglass-friendly design, wide field of view, and an exceptionally close focus. Although their low power will limit the usefulness of these binoculars for many types of birding, they are excellent for butterfly watching and would be great to keep by the window for close-up viewing of your backyard feeder birds.
As for the eyecups, I thought that twisting them out fully was to provide proper eye relief for non-eyeglass wearers. Twisting them all the way down is supposed to be the proper setting for eyeglass wearers though I think that largely depends on the size and shape of your face.

Thanks for the info though.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

My friend and I recently purchased a pair of the Browning bino's and really like them. He went with the 8x32's and I went with the 10X42's. I'm very happy with that size and my friend now wishes (after using mine) that he would have went with the 10X42's. They also have the adjustable eye piece for people who wear glasses. Let me know if you have any questions about them. I'll be checking out antelope in WY through them in two days, I can't wait!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, I was eyeing up the Browning 8x32s last night at Cabelas. They only had the 8x32s and 8x42s in stock so I didn't get to check out the 10x42s.

However, I did end up buying a pair of Zeiss Conquest 8x30s. After looking through alot of glass in that price range and higher I thought the Conquests provided the best compromise.

But, I am taking them back. In direct comparison with my Pentax XPs they aren't as bright though they are just as sharp. The focusing mechanism also isn't near as smooth. I do believe I am just going to keep the XPs and opt for purchasing a 10x42 or 10x50 to complete my collection.

Now, back to the stores to compare the Monarchs, Legends, Olympics and HRIIs. Thanks guys for the suggestions.
Old 09-02-2005, 06:40 PM
PLB

A bolt fan,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I have an archery bull elk hunt in AZ that starts in two weeks andthus I have been a little preoccupied.

Have you ever been in a well lit room and noticed how the lighting is reflecting off of peoples eye glasses? That reflection that you see is light that was unable to pass through the glass. An untreated glass will block approximately 15% of light that is trying to pass through. Keep in mind, binoculars have 7 lenses. That is a lot of light not getting through. This is very noticeable during the 1st and last 30 minutes (or so) of light, when game is the most active. While at the store in a well lighted enviornment, it is difficult to see the difference.

Nikon makes some very good binoculars such as the premier SE series, but they run about $700 to $900. So why the big difference in price between the monarchs and the premier SE binoculars? Because of the chemical coatings used on the glass and the prisms. The chemical coatingsallow more light to transmit through the glass.

If you want quality glass, you have to pay the big bucks....there is no way around it. If you want to save money, go to Walmart and buy a pair for $49.99.

I can't speak for hunting out east, but for hunting out west, good glass (to include a tripod) is a must. It is not uncommon to glass the same area all day.

As for brands to look at, I would recommend the Nikon Premier SE, Pentax DCF, Zeiss, Leica, & Swarovski (not in that order). More so than any other product that I know of, you get what you pay for whenit comes to glass. Not all Binoculars are created equal, NOT EVEN BINOS MADE BY THE SAME MAKER!!!! i.e. Monarch vs the Premier SE (the extra money for the SE is giving you light transmission that the Monarchs are not).

If your the type of hunter who uses his/her glass for about 30 minutes a day total during the hunting season, then don't buy the expensive glass. You wouldn't be using it anyway.

There is a reason that most guides, i.e. people who make a living hunting, use the higher end glass (and no it is not given to them for free).

I'm not trying to offend anyone by this post. I own a pair of Nikon Monarchs (they keep my son occupied while I'm 'burning glass'). I also own Swarovski 15x56. My hunting partners have Swarovskis and Leicas in various magnifications and I have used them all under low light conditions and know of their qualitiy.

I really don't care what glass you buy, I'm not getting any money from the companies, I'm just trying to pass on information that I have learned.
Old 09-03-2005, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some good advice PLB....all across the board. The SEs are argued to offer the best image period of any binocular on the market including the Swaro ELs, Leica Ultravids, Zeiss FLs and the Nikon Premier/Venturer/HG LX. Probably their only drawback is that they are not waterproof.

On the other hand, I have heard several reputable optics experts comment on how favorably the Nikon E2 compares to the SE but at a price of about $300. Slightly softer on the edge of the field of view but just as sharp in the center of the field.....and with a wider field of view overall. I have an original E series and must say that it compares very favorably with many roof prism glasses in the $600-$800 range. I also have an LX which I tend to take 9 out of 10 times out the door. It is a bit heavy but I have yet to look through a binocular that could match its image quality. (Haven't had the privelege of looking through an SE yet).
Old 09-04-2005, 12:22 AM
PLB

I think Nikon is doing themselves a dis-service by not marketing the SE binoculars to the hunting crowd (they only market them to the birders). I also don't like the idea of spending several hundred dollars on binos that are not waterproof, while I don't plan to toss my binos in the lake, it is comforting knowing that in a good rain storm they wont be ruined.

I have looked through the Nikon field scope 80mm and I can tell you that it is fantasic.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:35 PM

Dear PA Bowhunter. I just went through what you are going through looking for a pair of binocs. I did not like the monarchs. Not clear and bright enough for a 300 dollor binoc. Plus they have substandard customer service. You can't go wrong with swoarovski, Zeiss, Leica etc but not all can afford them. You still have to buy gas to get to the deer woods!
Here are some options you may not have thought about.
1. Optolyth 10x50 Alpen model and Royal model. MADE IN GERMANY. I bought my Optolyth 10x50 alpen for 125 bucks on ebay. Only splash proof. not completely waterproof. Clear as a bell and rubber armoured and light as a feather You should be able to buy them new from England for around 250 bucks
2. Docter optics from germany. Almost as good as swaros. From the Old Zeiss factory on the east side of the berlin wall. Top drawer but the cheapest I have seen them used in mint condition was 300 bucks
3. IOR Vladada from Bucharest. Excellent millitary type binos from europe and nearly unbreakable and water/fog proof. new 7x40 for aroun 350 and 10x40 for 500. They use Schott glass (SAME AS ZEISS) and they use Zeiss coatings
4. SWIFT!! A real sleeper. Made in Japan. An alltime favourite of Bird watchers everywhere. Tough, clear, water/fog proof, and very easy on the eyes. $279.99 for Porro prisms, and 379.99 for the roofs from binoculars.com THESE WOULD BE MY PICK for a bino under 300.
Mail me if you want. My email is not blocked.
okcmco
PS let me know what you get

Old 09-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

okcmco,

Thanks for the suggestions. I am actually somewhat familiar with the Optolyth and Swift binos from various birding optic review forums. Great binos by all accounts.

I recently bought the 10x42 Cabelas Alaskan Guides as well as the Zeiss Conquest 8x30s. After extended use in the field for the past week I find neither to really suit my needs in comparison to the Nikon LX 8x42s or the Pentax XPs (though the Conquests were very comparable to the XPs).

I think I am going to opt for either a Nikon LX 8x32 or Nikon SE 8x32. Contrary to what you posted I have had very good relations with their customer service and both bins are top notch in terms of image quality and handling. Time will tell though which one I end up with. I will be sure to post when the time comes.

Thanks for the help. It is much appreciated.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:57 AM

I have the Nikon LX 8 x 42's and I could not be more pleased. They are excellent binoculars.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Typical Buck

Leica Ultravid 8 x 42
Cabela's Alaskan Guide 10 x 42

Quick Reply: Binoculars?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.