Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

'scentlock' ???

Old 08-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Default RE: 'scentlock' ???

Thanks for all of the replies folks.
I suspect that the 'cons' (pun intended) are correct.
I don't believe that 'scent loc' works as claimed, but it sounds like any benefit that the 'scent capturing' carbon provides would be at least as good at the far lower price of the mopp/nbc clothing.
I'm gonna check the military stuff out.

Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Fork Horn

i have used scent-lok for a few years now. yes it does work. but you can't be lazy either.keep yourself,equipment and clothes scent free in order to have it work. you say the cheap ones work. they might. but you can get scent-lok siut in the mail order catalogs for a lil under 300.00. yours work for 2 weeks. i would need 4 siuts for 1 year. 100.00. every year. ive had my scent lok for over 5 years. i have a friend thats had his for 10 or more. id get the scent-lok and be done spending. don't buy anything but scent-lok tho. all the others can only use half the carbon as scent-lok. something to do with the patent.just my .02
Old 08-29-2005, 08:49 PM

I just use the scent free soaps and detergent. I dont buy any of those scent blocker clothes. My old football coach and I got into a discussion on day after practice about how effective scent blocker is. My coach, being a big bowhunter told me he thought it was a gimick. He told me he took a crap and a piss within 40 yards of his stand and 45 minutes later killed the biggest buck of his life. According to the scent blocker people, ifdeer can smell you from like 1000 yards away why would an old wiley5 1/2 year old 11 point go anywhere near a human crap. My oppinion is that scent control is important but they are also just trying to sell their product. Most of it is a gimick.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 PM

I go for thinnest and warmest..i bought the idigear jacket last season
look at www.idigear.com greatest thing since duck soup
Old 09-12-2005, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ivory scent free soap.. Wash your clothers in baking soda,,line dry, then bag up. Dress in field ..not in your car or house. Get the wind in your face and ..BOOYAH youll see that monster buck and not spend your day thinking about how much you spent on that scentlock suit and its effectiveness..Where was scentlock when we killed our first deer???

Soon it will be suits with built in sex lures and cover scents, all youll have to do is hit a button on your suit,,,and pay the thousands it'll cost
Old 09-12-2005, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

they dont work i have heard it from magazines, tv shows and people dont waste the money
Old 09-12-2005, 05:21 PM

I have to say this is something that I have been debating about buying with this being my first year of hunting. I hunt right off my property about 300-400 yards from the house with the deer. My question is for me is just taking a shower in the morning with a non-scent soap and making sure to wash my clothing every few days in non-scent soap and hang try isall I need then?

If I can save the cash that would be great.

I was thinking of getting something like this and for the cash I did not think $159.95 forcoveralls was a bad price.

http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=48165&hvarDept=400&a mp;hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=15&hvarSubCode =5&hvarTarget=browse

Old 09-16-2005, 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: Muddyemms

Which is exactly what I was going to do, but I have a question first.How would you clean the MOPP suit? I seem to remember tales of people who have run them through a washer having a bunch of the carbon run out of them. (PS--I think that they'd work great with BaseSlayers underneath.)
You're right , do not put them in the washer . Don't ask how I know that ...

When I buy new ones I rinse them off with the water hose to reduce the factory smell , then I hang them on hangers outside to air dry until they don't smell anymore . Having them get rained on helps , believe it or not . Once all trace of smells are gone I pack them in a scent free bag until needed . Alternately , you could soak the garment in a plastic tub with some Sportwash and rinse with ordinary water and then air dry . The chlorine from the water will evaporate as the garment dries or get adsorbed . Don't expect more than 2 weeks of normal use before you discard it .

You can try rewashing it , but I've been busted after trying that before . MOPP suits have something like 60 grams of carbon per square foot , about twice what a ScentLok suit does , and it's unbonded so you get to use it all . Carbon being porous also makes it a great insulator . Base Layers are unnecessary and will make you roast unless it's very cold outside .
I'm sorry but your method is flawed. 1st why buy any army chemical suit that come s from the factory already smelling of foreign odors. then you say hang it out side to air out. The whole time the suit is filling up with the smells of the outdoors cloging up the carbon molicules. These suits must be stored in a air tight container to keep ALL scent from being absorbed. I say if you can afford the scent lok?scent blocker stuff , get it. it's not 100% but it will help more than nothing at all. If the Mopp suit is your cup of tea than wear it I'm sure it's better than nothing at all aswell. Just my 2 cents
Old 09-17-2005, 03:50 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PYseeker

ORIGINAL: kevin1

ORIGINAL: Muddyemms

Which is exactly what I was going to do, but I have a question first.How would you clean the MOPP suit? I seem to remember tales of people who have run them through a washer having a bunch of the carbon run out of them. (PS--I think that they'd work great with BaseSlayers underneath.)
You're right , do not put them in the washer . Don't ask how I know that ...

When I buy new ones I rinse them off with the water hose to reduce the factory smell , then I hang them on hangers outside to air dry until they don't smell anymore . Having them get rained on helps , believe it or not . Once all trace of smells are gone I pack them in a scent free bag until needed . Alternately , you could soak the garment in a plastic tub with some Sportwash and rinse with ordinary water and then air dry . The chlorine from the water will evaporate as the garment dries or get adsorbed . Don't expect more than 2 weeks of normal use before you discard it .

You can try rewashing it , but I've been busted after trying that before . MOPP suits have something like 60 grams of carbon per square foot , about twice what a ScentLok suit does , and it's unbonded so you get to use it all . Carbon being porous also makes it a great insulator . Base Layers are unnecessary and will make you roast unless it's very cold outside .
I'm sorry but your method is flawed. 1st why buy any army chemical suit that come s from the factory already smelling of foreign odors. then you say hang it out side to air out. The whole time the suit is filling up with the smells of the outdoors cloging up the carbon molicules. These suits must be stored in a air tight container to keep ALL scent from being absorbed. I say if you can afford the scent lok?scent blocker stuff , get it. it's not 100% but it will help more than nothing at all. If the Mopp suit is your cup of tea than wear it I'm sure it's better than nothing at all aswell. Just my 2 cents
Just out of curiosity , what did your ScentLok smell like when you first brought it home ? My guess is that it didn't smell like "nothing" . If anything it probably smelled just like the store where you bought it or the factory where it was made .

Carbon ain't forever , and airing out the fabric shellin a wooded setting like where I live only makes it smell like home to a deer . Since I don't intend to keep the suits for years it doesn't matter if they adsorb a little woods smell . All I can say is that it works , and after comparing results with friends who own ScentLok my $15 suit works just as well as that overpriced gimmickry .
Old 09-17-2005, 08:21 PM

I had a deer come within 10 yds of me when I went out after work with no prep other than putting my camo on and nocking an arrow...I was also 15 yds off a main road. I dropped some deer pee and was in a stand, that was it. Did I smell, hell yeah...but I wanted to get some time in and had cased that spot a couple of times and wondered if it would work there...it did. Deep in the woods the deer don't expect that smell of man...but they get a little something from us when they feed on the side of the road (usually right after you spent the whole day in the woods with no sign of deer).
Plan accordingly for your hunt and you may be pleased with the results.

Tim

Quick Reply: 'scentlock' ???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.