Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

Old 08-15-2005, 11:37 PM

Default Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

Okay guys, here's the idea. Some fella on here got me thinking. He has been comparing digital trail cams and I have found his site very useful, however what I haven't found is a very straight to the point answer about all aspects of the digital cams. Most posts give you a couple of ideas about a couple of cameras, but you are left to bit and piece it all together. So, Iwould like forthis post to be the only resource one would need to use before going digital. We all know digital can be pricey, so I hope everyone that has information to share about a particular camera, does so. I'll probably take down the page in a month (mid September). That should give everyone sufficient time to post.

If you would like to help, click the link below and complete the form. (I added a page to my classroom website to make it quick. Thought that was worth mentioning because the background does not quite match the current topic.)

http://spider.georgetowncollege.edu/education/peach/edu558/studentwebs/sp05/bparker0/trail_camera_review.htm

Thanks everybody.
Old 08-16-2005, 09:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

Great idea. Way to keep everything centralized. I hope you will share the final compilation when it is finished.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:39 PM

I am a little surprised that we only have one form completed at this point, but I hope they start pouring in. The way it works is for people that have a digital trail cam to go to the link in the first post, and complete the form, then click submit. The information is sent to me and then I will post it. The reason I did it this way is because I wanted to make sure participants didn't accidentally leave anything out. I will not edit any of the responses in any way. Like I said, I am doing this for everyone that is looking to go digital. I do not have a digital trail cam so I have no opinions either way about any of the cams.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:45 PM

A big thanks tobozz for our first post.

Brand & Model: Leaf River digital with view screen

Link: blank

Cost: $ 359 last years price....now $ 100 less and IMHO the best bang for the buck out there....no contest !!!

Battery Quantity & Size: 4-D'S....3 C'S

Battery Life: 4 months in moderate temp,...40-90 degrees

Trigger Speed: 4 seconds....gotten whole deer on every shot.....its all in the cam angle...some cams claim faster but do so by losing pic quality because cam has not fully waken up !!

Trigger Distance: has an excellent sensitvity adjustment....can pick up birds from 30 yds or more...

Resolution: 4.1 mp

Memory: Compact flash.....the is not real useful info here so far.....seeing since you can get this info. right from L.R.

Picture Viewer: Mines has a built in screen....its helpful.

Security: comes with a heavy duty locking bar on the front...and a nice cam housing with locking cable holes pre-drill

Strap: strap or cable.....I use a cable.

Good Qualities: Their 35 mms have had a excellent reputation for years....for $ 269 with view screen and so many easy to use controls and features...such as zoom on the screen.....it was a no brainer as far as best buy for the buck....not to mention the cam has a very cool rugged look about it !

Bad Qualities: Really can't think of any....I love the cam !

Happy with purchase: VERY HAPPY.......own a cuddy and didn't care for it much took it back for the Leaf River and like it much more....better pics......more featues....easier to use and better locking cables can be use with it !
Old 08-17-2005, 04:05 PM

Thanks go outtoglew22 for oursecond post.

Brand & Model: Cuddeback 1.3 mp

Link: www.cuddebackdigital.com

Cost: $400 on sale for $300

Battery Quantity & Size: 4 D's

Battery Life: I usually get around 3 months

Trigger Speed: Can't be more then a second, just as quick as a 35mm i have

Trigger Distance: The largest clearing I have tested in was 20 yds and it sensed it right away

Resolution: 1.3 mp

Memory: It uses a CF card, the larger the size the larger amount of pics you can take.

Picture Viewer: Yes you can view images in the field with a separate hookup you must buy, but its just as easy for me to wait the 5 mins to get back to my computer.

Security: The camera is secured to the tree with a cable and/or a 4 inch long screw, it also has a hold in the bottom where you can put a padlock on it. If someone does manage to get it off the tree they will never be able to operate it without knowing your password.

Strap: See above

Good Qualities: I haven't see many cams that take bad day pictures, but i think i speek for most when i say the magority of my picutres are at night and this is where the cuddeback really outshines a lot of other cameras, i really havent seen many night pictures that can compare to the cuddeback. The customer service is great as well (see below).

Bad Qualities: Some, including myself, have had problems with the software mine stopped working not long after i got it, but the company was great they sent me another one the day i called them even before i had sent the other one back and its been great since then.

Happy with purchase: Yes, if i had any extra money to throw around i wouldn;t hesitate buying another. I belive the camera is worth every bit of the $400 it was origianlly marked as but $300 is just a great price IMO.

Old 08-19-2005, 08:58 PM

Thanks toDampland for ourthird post.

Brand & Model: LEAF RIVER (Model DC-2BU) 2.1 Mega-Pixel digital game camera
This camera includes the LCD viewing screen

Link: WWW.vibrashine.com

Cost: 2004 Price $349.99

Battery Quantity & Size: 4 - D
3 - C

Battery Life: Left outside in the N.W. Wisconsin winter during late December 04, early January 2005.
Approximately 25 days. Had over 260 photos on the Compact Flash card.
When I first put the camera in early November, I installed the orginal batteries I bought for it. Those batteries were still working, after I pulled the camera fro the woods in mid-January, due to EXTREME cold.
I would guess that the batteries will work just fine for 6-8 weeks in early fall conditions, and 4-6 weeks in the colder winter conditions.

Trigger Speed: 5-6 seconds

Trigger Distance: can be varied, according to sensativity. But in general, I would say 35-40 feet max.

Resolution: 2.1 Miega-Pixels

Memory: COMPACT FLASH cards. I currently use Sandisk 128 MB cards

Picture Viewer: Yes, viewer included on unit.
BUT, the viewer is very small, and is often hard to see what is on picture..... usually just look on computer at home.

Security: comes with a metal bar that if you buy 2 small locks, they will prevent the unit from being opened up (no stolen Memory cards)
Also has holes in metal frame for a bike chain lock to be used.

Strap: Fabric cord, with some elastic built in, regular strap buckle at end.

Good Qualities: Reliable, takes decent pictures, good battery life, I love the DATE & TIME on each picture., good camo on product. Appears sturdy construction. Pretty simple instructions to follow, and get started right away.

Bad Qualities: I feel the wake up/trigger speed is too slow 5-6 seconds.
on-camera LCD viewer is so small that it is really not worth getting...EXCEPT that the viewer is VERY helpful when setting up the camera settings.

Happy with purchase: YES, Other than a problem at the beginning with the WHITE BALANCE being all screwed up. (Solved by taking out all the batteries, and letting the unit sit for 48 hours) It has worked fine. If you want a camera for deer TRAILS, this is NOT the right camera...too slow.
But for FOOD PLOTS, mineral Licks, or Bait Piles; it works just great!
Old 08-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Thanks torecurver67 for our4thpost.

Brand & Model: MOULTRIE GAMESPY 1.3 megapixiels

Link: blank

Cost: 179.95 from Cabela's last year

Battery Quantity & Size: 6 volt lantern battery

Battery Life: 3 to 4 weeks with warm weather or 400 to 500 pics with rechargables.Don't know about cold temps yet.With cheap battery about 250 pics or 1 week in cold.

Trigger Speed: In warmer temp it is slower(4 to 5 seconds)I would guess.

Trigger Distance: It seems to be about 25 to 30 yds depending on the temp. It will miss or catch part of animal in warmer weather but not always.

Resolution: 1.3 M.P

Memory: 16 mb internal or SD memcard external.With a 128 mb card it about holds 300 pics on high res.

Picture Viewer: Only with card reader(sold seperately).

Security: Small cable and lock supplied.(It's a joke)

Strap: The mounting system is a joke,supplied are two shoe strings with little stops.

Good Qualities: With the Moultrie's cost being half what others sell for I bought another one.I have less than $ 300 in 2 cams,2rechargable batteries and 2 128mb mem cards. The pic quality is good on high res and as a scouting tool they're perfect.I have not had any problems with either cam other than being a little slow at times.If you take a little time in the setup it will improve the pic quanity and quality .I believe for the price you can't go wrong.

Bad Qualities: These cams can be a pain to setup with the junk mounting system.The supplied cable and lock could be cut with a pair of wire cutters.

Happy with purchase: Overall I'm happy with the cams,the price and a product that works.It's a afforbable scouting tool that tells you what your scouting for.The only thing I would change is the mounting and that I'm working on.I think the pic quality is good and improves with creative setups.I will buy another when I can afford one.
Old 08-21-2005, 04:04 PM

With the increased selection of (at least) decent digital game cameras, now all we need is a game camera with wireless internet capabilities that way it could automatically upload the pics to the web. Then we could just sit at home and see whats been cookin at the honey hole!!!! Wouldn't that be awesome!!!!!!!! No more traipsing through the woods to check the camera spreading scent everywhere!
Old 08-21-2005, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a nice flash comparison of the more popular digi models.

Old 08-22-2005, 11:58 AM

Doc,
Penn's woods has one that works of a cell phone, it emails it to your computer right after the photo was taken. Neat technology, but in my opinion that's getting a little ridiculous, hunters will be "hunting" from their pc. All they have todo is check their emailand walk out an shootMoe when he walks by....I think I'll sit in the woods. Below is a pic frommy cuddeback 3.0,the biggerbuckin the distance is about 20yds from the camera (the extended range flash was on).

Quick Reply: Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.