Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

Old 09-03-2005, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Comparing digital trail cams (The POST To End All POSTS)

No Bob its the old model, most of my pictures are about the same quality as these, very seldom do I get a blank picture, The only problem I have is when the fog moves in, it makes them a little fuzzy. Is your flash reflector real nice and shiny? Last year I took so many pictures that mine was starting to turn black from the flash, I guess from the flash burning it.I sent it in and they fixed it.

One thng I would like to see on the Cuddebacks would be the way the pictures are stored on the card, I wish you could set it to where the file names would keep going in a numerical order instead of starting over at 1 when you put a new card in, I save all mine to a file on my computer and also on a disc, if it has more than one pictue file with the same number from 2 cardsI either have to change the file number or delete one before I can save it, also in having an on going file number it would make keeping count of your pictures thur out the year a little easier.
Old 09-03-2005, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

strut--- Iused to have the same problemI found a pretty good solution. Highlight all the pics on the card and right click on the first one and replace the number with a number in parenthases you need to use parenthases or else the first one will be 1 witht he second 1 (1)...1 (2) and so forth. You can name them starting with whatever number then copy them into where all you other pictures are and repeat the process with all the pics in the file....sorry for not beign very clear but it does work, if your haveing trouble let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:28 PM

A big thanks tokpsingleton for our4th post. (I think it's the fourth.)

Brand & Model: Moultrie Digital Spy Cam 1.3

Link: http://www.moultriefeeders.com/productDetail.aspx?id=MFH-DGS-100

Cost: $98 from Walmart

Battery Quantity & Size: 6 volt lantern

Battery Life: blank

Trigger Speed: Differs. Sometimes seconds to almost 20 seconds.

Trigger Distance: blank

Resolution:1.3 MP

Memory: SD Card up to 256 MB

Picture Viewer: No.

Security: Really none. But hey, that's what you get when you only spend $98.

Strap: 2 ropes that came with unit.

Good Qualities: Price, Price, Price. I just use it for scouting and it is absolutely perfect for that.

Bad Qualities: Lousy fastening system, sometimes trigger speed is ridiculously slow.

Happy with purchase: Yes, very happy. I can buy 4 of these for the same price as one of the higher end models. I know I am sacrificing some features but that's okay since I only use it for scouting.
Old 09-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Thanks go outtobasswacker foranother post.

Brand & Model: Penn's Woods DS-04. 3.2mp Sony camera

Link: www.pennswoods.com

Cost: 699

Battery Quantity & Size: 2AA is camera and 4 c's for the sensor

Battery Life: ~200 pics for camera batteries (rechargeable duracells) and I change out the others each time (rechargeables) so I don't know exactly, at least 200pics

Trigger Speed: Seems pretty quick?

Trigger Distance: Good range, wish the flash range was a little better

Resolution: 3.2 mp

Memory: Memory sticks, I have two a 256kb and a 64kb

Picture Viewer: Viewer on camera

Security: Python cable, which is heavy duty. I put a screw through the inside of the box to the tree so it can't be slid up and over if the tree were cut down.....feature I stole from my cuddeback.

Strap: Python Cable holds it to the tree

Good Qualities: Great resolution, I've taken over 300 pics this week and don't have an empty pic in the bunch, they all have some sort of critter. Very easy to set up.

Bad Qualities: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and somewhat short range flash

Happy with purchase: Very happy with the camera.