Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Treestand Recommendations

Old 07-26-2005, 10:52 AM

Default Treestand Recommendations

I am looking at getting a new treestand. I have not hunted from one in 5 years and have not bought one in twice that time. I went to Bass Pro Shops today and the only thing I really found out is my new Chevy 1500 is getting 21 MPG highway. So I thought I would get recommendations from you guys.
Here is my situation. I had back surgery a couple years ago, but my back has been doing well lately. However, I need a comfortable seat and this is my most important concern. I also need something that folds and packs well. I am also looking for something that has a gun rest option. I have looked at the Summit, API Grand Slam Star Extreme, Loggy Bayou MEGA Transformer, and the Tree Lounge. I am not sure how comfortable the seats would be on the Summit, but that style is the going thing now days with most tree stands. The tree lounge looks very comfortable, but it is on the heavy side. There is going to be a deer hunting show next weekend that I am going to go check out too.I haveposted this onsome other forums and the SummitGoliath X5 seems tobe the one I like the best. By the way Iweigh 240.So what is your best stand and why?[/align]
Old 07-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Treestand Recommendations

I think you are on the right track with the Summits. I have had the opportunity to use a variety of climbers and hang-ons. I think the Summit line is one of the most comfortable, durable and quiet to use. My current Summit Revolution almost allows me to fall asleep at times...notice I said "almost"...

Just out of curiousity, why the Goliath? At 240 you would still be way under the weight limit for the Viper level stands.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:42 AM

I want the Goliath because of the extra room in the seat area. The standardX5 looked so small and once I get heavy cloths on I am afraid my big butt will not fit
Old 07-26-2005, 02:39 PM

Don't mean to change the subject, but have you considered a pop-up ground blindlike the Ameristeps or the Double Bulls, etc.? They are relatively lightweight, easy to pack, you can sit in any kind of comfortable seat you want to bring along, and with a Stoney Point bipod, you have a perfect gun rest to shoot out the windows with. And to top it all off, you can sit inside out of all the weather that seems to come along with deer hunting. I'm not against treestands at all as I own 2 myself. But, I find myself wanting to sit in my ground blind more and more, especially the older you get! Just food for thought andgood luck in your search!
Old 07-26-2005, 02:53 PM

I tried the Ameristeps anddid not like it. I bought the Cabelas Lighting Blind last year. I do like it and will use it, but some places a treestand will work better where I hunt.My problem withthis blind it thatthe bag has a shoulder strap and is notvery comfortable. I need to find another bag that will work like a backpack. Another problem isI cannot stand strait up and I need to do that every so often. Good recommendation though.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm 225 and have plenty of room in the Viper. The extra room of the Goliath would be nice though!
Old 07-28-2005, 10:33 AM

im 285 and i fit in the viper x5 ok too. goliath would be better but i couldnt resist the price on what i got.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:01 AM

I wished I knew someone that had one so I could try it because I would love to save some money and weightwith the smaller one. It just looks so small in there. I will be getting one next weekend hopefully.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:54 AM

Well I went with the standard Viper x5. They had them for 200.00 out the door on Saturday at the Buckmasters Expo and I could not pass that up. The inside area looks bigger than the one at Bass Pro I am not sure why? It was a very wet weekend so I did not get a chance to climb with it yet, but I like the way it carries compared to other stands I have experienced.