Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

binocular selection - getting a new pair

Old 07-25-2005, 11:16 PM

Default binocular selection - getting a new pair

I would like to hear from anyone who has personal knowledge of how good or bad the Cabelas Alaskan Guide Series 10X42 binoculars are and also the Steiner Predator 10X42. I would be very interested in a review of both binoculars. I am also very interested to know from a Steiner Predator owner whether the claimed increased ability to see animals like deer and elk because of the way the Predators render colors is true or not. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE, 7/27/05: Thanks to everyone for your responses to my inquiry. I went to a store in Sacramento and checked out a Zeiss 10X40 B T P and a Pentax 10X50 DCF SP. Both were exceptionally clear and sharp, to my untrained eyes, looking at sun lit trees in the distance. But when I looked up the street into the dark interior of a car wash, it was readily apparent that the Pentax had the edge in brilliance and clarity under poor light conditions. The Pentax was listed at $799 and the Zeiss at $999. I was sold on the Pentax, so I went on line and found a pair for $549 through digitalfotoclub.com. I also found an Outdoor Life Bino Field Test in which the Pentax 10X50 beat out all other binos by 2 minutes re: how long they could still see through it after the sun went down. It was rated excellent in almost all categories and was the Editor's Choice for best binocular. After sleeping on it overnight, I logged back on and ordered a pair which I'm looking forward to trying on elk hunts in Oregon and Idaho in September.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:03 AM

Default RE: binocular selection - getting a new pair

Can't speak for those, but I personally went through the same research, testing, trying, etc. ordeal for a new pair recently. I settled in on the 10x42 Nikon Monarch ATB's. They are true gem for $300. Big optic features without the high price. Definitely odd in the optic world where $$'s usually equates to quality. A great review exists on Cabela's on them, plus plenty of info here. Good luck on your next purchase.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is the only Steiner I don't like......
The preditors lens coating "CAT"are designed to filterGREEN light and enhance theRED BROWNS and "wildlife colors."
The problem I have with them..How much GREEN is there in the Automn and Winter months???...
Maybe where you live the coating may be benificial to your hunting needs.. but where I live because everything has turned to brown and red by then, there is no benefit to havingthat coating..
...Steiners are a great product...but be leary of the lens coatings P.R.
This coating that is applied I feel also affects the resolution of the glass..
So between the image contrast and low colour resolution objects don't appear as bright or clearas they coould be..It may affect your hunting..
I like a bino that has a high resolution anddelivers a clear, bright image..The Cabelas Alaskan Guide offers it.....
Great bino very well made and offers everything all other high end models offer..
For the price they are in a class all by themselves and are always compared to models selling for twice as much...
They stand up resonably well when compared to them..
If I didn't have a thousand or two dollars to spend on binos ...I'd certanly look into these..
Between the two I'd go with the Cabelas Alaskan Guide.
Old 07-26-2005, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like Jeff's comments and would ask you to add them to what I commented on in the other forum. In addition...the Pentax DCF-SP line, The Kahles lineup and even the Zeiss Conquest offer better performance, in my opinion, in that price range. Let us know what you end up with.
Old 07-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had a chance to look through the Pentax DCF-SP line last year I think they are sweet..
I'm not sure but I thinkDCF -SP line only got introduced last year whenPentax discontinued The DCF-WP line..Than theyreplaced them with the WP Line with theHR2's..By the way don't buy into that nonsense..The HR2don't even come close to measuring up to the oldWP line...Get the SP's....
What a load of crap that story is.
By the way thats what I have DCF WP in a 10x 50...Nice bino's
At the time I bought them I think it was in the year 2000.. They where the best bino for the money..I looked around hard for them..
You may still be lucky enough to find a pair some place too,and I'm sure you'll get them at a steal......
I havn't looked through the Ziess or Khales before but I imagine they are nice too..
Old 07-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Howdy bullslayer, and welcome to the forums.

I can't speak personally for either of the brands you are looking at. The best advice I can give you is go somewhere and look through some binoculars and compare them yourself. There are so many variables in size, grip, controls, eye relief, etc. that you just can't get a good feel for without actually picking them up and trying them out. But your on the right track. I like 10x42 binoculars. They have large enough objective lenses to gather light at dawn and dusk, and enough power to be of some use when trying to judge distant racks.

Jeff
Old 07-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congratulations..You did your homework!!!
Great Choice..I know you won't be disappointed..
I didn't know they outlasted Ziess ..Even though your comparing diferent size objective lenses..
They still outlasted Ziess???? Wow.......
Old 07-27-2005, 06:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think Jeff's comments on the SP line is right on the money. I have one of the XPs and am very pleased with its performance. The SPs are a step higher in terms of optical performance and I have had the opportunity to look through both the 8x43s and the 8x32s. Very good glass for the price.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

I think Jeff's comments on the SP line is right on the money. I have one of the XPs and am very pleased with its performance. The SPs are a step higher in terms of optical performance and I have had the opportunity to look through both the 8x43s and the 8x32s. Very good glass for the price.
You were the one who suggested them..All I did was provide some backup.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:28 PM

I've used the Pentax 10x50 DCF WP since Nov 2001. At twilight, they seem a little darker than my Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x50 scope. If I can get by with 8x instead of 10x, do you think the Pentax 8x43 DCF SP would make a *noticeable* difference in low light visibility? They have a 5.4 Exit Pupil and 29 Relative Brightness vs. 5.0 and 25 for the 10x50 DCF WP.

Jim

Quick Reply: binocular selection - getting a new pair

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.