Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

GPS Help Needed

Old 07-19-2005, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: GPS Help Needed

Good choice Fishhook. Etrex Legend is a great little unit.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:24 PM

T.D.W.-----How did you figure out property lines? I have a piece of property that I have a problem with the line on one side and hate to spend the big dollars to hire a surveyor. I did not know that it could be done with a GPS unit.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:25 AM

Hey blueturkey..I don't think he was talking about a legal binding find with a GPS. I think he was talking about getting the lay of the land. You can go to a known location such as a fenced corner line, take a reading of long and lat. Then go to a topo map such as www.jdmcox.com type in the info and it will take you to that long and lat. Do that as you walk around the property and you can see exactly on the topo what the lay of the land is. When you are leasing several small private pieces of land as opposed to large timber company sections, you have a lot of turns and corners in the property. Saves a lot of hassle of trespassing and stand placement. It's not that I'm lazy, just old.It is just a handy tool, I don't think it would hold up in court. Maybe, Maybe not.
ORIGINAL: blueturkey

T.D.W.-----How did you figure out property lines? I have a piece of property that I have a problem with the line on one side and hate to spend the big dollars to hire a surveyor. I did not know that it could be done with a GPS unit.