Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help! Best boots for OCT N.M Elk Hunt??

Old 07-13-2005, 02:49 PM

Default Help! Best boots for OCT N.M Elk Hunt??

Hey all. Since you were so helpful with advice about optices, maybe you could help me with my boots. I am going to hunt elk in Chama New Mexico. I will be walking anywhere from 1-5 miles a day at altitude. If I get waterproof, they must be breathable. I can expect anything from warm weather. to rain and snow.
What are your opinions concerning the very best boot (preferably US made) at any price?
How about the best bang for the buck in a hunting boots (including imports)?
And should I get insulated or non isulated, keeping in mind that It may be hot or cold?
Thanks in advance!
okcmco
Old 07-14-2005, 06:20 AM

Default RE: Help! Best boots for OCT N.M Elk Hunt??

IMHO, your best buy are the 'Cabelas' name boots. They are made by the 'big name' companies and have Cabelas name attached to them. As good as anything out there. I would recommend a GoreTex lined boot with a light lugged sole and 400 gr insulation. You probably won't need a heavy lug sole unless you know you'll be in heavy snow and the 400 gr insulation won't cause you to be over warm but will give you some protection in the early mornings. Another bit of advice, buy the best socks you can afford, and always wear sock liners. That will do as much to take care of your feet as your boots will. And change your socks often. If you just have to go with 'name-brand' boots, I'drecommend Danner, but I think they make some of the Cabelas boots as stated earlier. Last thing, break those boots in BEFORE you leave for your hunt. Good luck.
Old 07-15-2005, 12:42 PM

Thanks Highpower. You are not the first to recommend Cabela's brand boots. Someone told me that Cabela himself invented the first practical (non golasha type) wterproof hunting boot back in the 40's.
okcmco
Old 07-15-2005, 09:34 PM

DOUBLE DITTO on Highpowers recs. I wont get into brand specifics, but a 400-500gram boot is about perfect for NM in Oct. When I hunted in the Gila and Apache areas in mid Oct my 500gram boots were between perfect and a touch on the warm side. But that is further south and a lil lower and warmer than the Chama area. I can't emphasize enough how important socks are. You can take quality socks and improve questionable boots. THE most important is the material of the liner or innersock that is touching your skin. I buy only "Thermax type" liners that wick moisture and keep your feet dry. A dry foot wont blister and can withstand much colder temps before discomfort.

Another thing you might consider (if space permits) is some portable "drop in" boot dryers. For sure take a bottle of quality foot powder and if you dont have power for the dryers then carry some newspaper to place in the boots at night. A dry boot is a luxury and it will actually add years too the life of your boots (and aint bad on the feet either!).

Good luck and have a ball, there aint NUTTIN like chasin bugles in NM (well not outside of AZ anyway! )
RA
Old 07-15-2005, 11:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have to recommend the meindl canada's sold by cabellas.Mine have seen many elk and sheep hunts over the yearsand are still waterproof.They were also very comfortable even when new requiring no real break in,yet they provide a great deal of support.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:24 PM

Buy the best pair of boots you can afford, get the best socks also. Cabela's brand boots & socks have ben good for me also. The socks is the difference between a great hunt and blisters.Get some liners & socks and your feet should serve you well. It's easy to spend more on socks than the boots.

Good luck
Old 07-27-2005, 08:40 PM

I have Danner Pronghorn camohide GTXand love them, don't think you can go wrong with danners. some of the cabelas boots are made by Danner too. http://www.danner.com/