Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

monarchs and legends

Old 07-09-2005, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default monarchs and legends

Alright i've been looking at these two and from the way it sounds you can't go wrong with either...... I'll probly get either 10X or 12X but what i want to know is how big size wise are each these, like inches long, tall and wide.......

Thanks guys
Old 07-09-2005, 09:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: monarchs and legends

The two are essentially the same in terms of length and width. There are two key differences though. One, the Legends are substantially heavier in mass weight...something like 29 ounces for the Legends while 21 ounces for the Monarchs. This can be both a benefit and a detriment. The extra weight of the Legends makes them easier to hold steady initially but you will eventually feel fatigue faster with them. Second, the styling is somewhat different. The Monarchs have a more classic streamlined look while the Legends are bit bulkier but feel more solid in your hand.

As for the actual physical size....they are both about 5.5 inches long without the eyecups extended and I would say about 4 inches wide..on average.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Fork Horn

so if you had to chose which one would you chose...... I like the looks of the legends better than the monarchs.........
Old 07-10-2005, 12:53 AM

10x Monarchs all the way! Read some of the other reviews on them and you can't go wrong. They are a wonderful piece of glass (saying this because I own them). I went through the same thing you are going through. I could have gotten the Legends on VIP pricing and still bought the Monarchs!
Old 07-10-2005, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Between the choice of 10x and 12x I would definitely go 10x as it easier to hold steady thus giving you more practical use. The 12x may sound like you get more detail but in truth, unless you have an extremely steady hold, you won't.

I don't know which one I would pick. I am sort of "stuck on" Nikon right now. Besides the Monarchs I owned previously I have their Venturers, E series and Earth and Sky spotter. All offer exceptional views. On the other hand the optics and handling of the Legends would offer a nice fresh perspective, pun intended, compared to the view and handling that the other Nikon products provide. One final thought about the weight though....carrying a heavy binocular around all day, without some additional support system like a neoprene strap or that binocular harness so many are fond of, can be a neckbreaking ordeal. The 29 ounce weight of the 10x42 Legends isn't overly heavy but it definitely isn't in the featherlight category of the Monarchs.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:13 PM

I think Monarch is Japanese for "THE most optic line on the market for the money".

At least I'm pretty sure that's what it translates too,
RA
Old 07-11-2005, 08:58 PM
Fork Horn

well i went with the bushnells, I ordered them tonight, my boss has a pair that were 8X36 and they seemed pretty good so i went with them but i in 10X42. So hopefully they do me well.....

Thanks for the help when i get them and use them i'll let yall know how i like em.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Derag,

I don't really think you could have made a bad choice in this situation. Either is a very good piece of glass for the price. It will be interesting to have someone from the Bushnell side of the camp on here instead of all us Nikon guys....

Your boss's 8x32 Legends are excellent. That is the particular model that I was using...in camo. Nice light weight, good grip and excellent optics. You should be pleased with the 10x42s if they aren't just a tad heavy.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

[quote]ORIGINAL: PABowhntr

Between the choice of 10x and 12x I would definitely go 10x as it easier to hold steady thus giving you more practical use. The 12x may sound like you get more detail but in truth, unless you have an extremely steady hold, you won't.

I don't know which one I would pick. I am sort of "stuck on" Nikon right now. Besides the Monarchs I owned previously I have their Venturers, E series and Earth and Sky spotter. All offer exceptional views. On the other hand the optics and handling of the Legends would offer a nice fresh perspective, pun intended, compared to the view and handling that the other Nikon products provide. One final thought about the weight though....carrying a heavy binocular around all day, without some additional support system like a neoprene strap or that binocular harness so many are fond of, can be a neckbreaking ordeal. The 29 ounce weight of the 10x42 Legends isn't overly heavy but it definitely isn't in the featherlight category of the Monarchs.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
[/quote

I just bought a pair of Monarchs and I love them.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good deal. Like I said, either binocular is a good choice. I also just saw in the latest Cabelas catalog that Bushnell now came out with an "excursion" model that looks like it is going to stack up really well against the Carson XM series and might even give the Monarchs a run for the money...especially considering it is $100 less in cost. I will have to check them out the next time I am at the store.