Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Help me pick out new binos

Old 07-01-2005, 06:29 PM

Default RE: Help me pick out new binos

liquidorange i'm pretty sure the yellow tint is for low light conditions and to be used after dark with lights. they make differant tints for differant uses. i use the green tint because i hunt in the east in heavy brush and trees. dulls the green colors and makes deer and coyotes stand right out. yellow would not work good here either. you can buy Steiners in clear or a tint but the tint should be matched to when and where you are hunting and then they really work well. if you do this then you would see why i like them so much.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

I went through the same thing in febuary. I went to grice's and compared several bino from $250.00 t0 $600.00 dollars . I bought the nikon monarch 10x42 I though they were just as clear and bright as any of the ones I looked at.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:03 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the input, like a lot of people, I dont have the budget to spend 700 bucks for optics, I wish I did, it will be hard enough to spend 300. I think all of you have made up my mind for sure to get the Monarchs, No one seems to have anything bad to say about them, for the money they seem to be the best bet.. Thanks again.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you get a chance though, take a look through the Legends next to the Monarchs. The Monarchs provide more realistic colors for the image but I think the Legends color bias provides a slightly sharper image. Just something for you to mull over. I still enjoy the Monarchs but the Legends give them a run for the money.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:19 PM

Monarchs good for the buck also not to bulky. On a budget they are the best IMO.
Old 07-09-2005, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

On a somewhat related note, if any of you happen to live within reasonable driving distance of the Hamburg Cabelas store or are planning on taking a trip there soon then definitely check out their bargain cave. I just bought another pair of binoculars....the original Nikon E series porros for $100. That is about 33% of the original price and they provide an outstanding image...almost as good as the Venturers. Cabelas apparently received some type of special shipment from Nikon and they have some excellent, inexpensive binos there. Just thought I would pass it along.
Old 07-13-2005, 03:00 PM

Concerning the Nikon Monarchs, I have read some good reviews of these in mags, but have seen them recieve bad reviews on some birding forums. Some people don't like the ease of focusing and they could be brighter.
Also keep in mind the Leupold binocs are not made by leupold but are "Imported" by Leupold from Japan. Have read some good things about the Leupold Wind river Katmai model.
In the same price you need to check out The All time Inexpensive Binocular Cahmpion of the Bird watchers, The Swift Audubon 8.5x44. Around$279.99or $379.99 withExtra-low dispersion (ED)glass. They are a porro design and water/fog/shock proof with lifetimewarrenty. Swift also makes a roof prism model. The Swift Audubon Roofs are 379 but I don't know if they make an ED model in the roofs.ALot of people swear by these binocs over the last 25 years and Swift keeps improving them to keep them current. Do a search on Yahoo or Google for "Swift Audubon reviews" or Binocular Reviews and see wht you get.
Good luck
Okcmco
Old 07-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

If $300. is what you are going to spend..
Buy a quality a porro prism bino .....A well made roof prism bino
is too hard to come by at that price you may find one but chances are probable you won't..
A $300.00 porro is equivalent to a $500.00 roof bino..

Old 07-13-2005, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

The only problem I see with the Swifts or Celestron style binos is that nobody in the hunting crowd is familiar with them sort of like how Leupold was an unfamiliar term in birding circles ten years ago. Good optics on all counts but people like to buy from companies they know.

A $300.00 porro is equivalent to a $500.00 roof bino..
I have seen some folks argue thata $300 porro is equivalent to a $1000 roof when it comes to image quality.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

You're right there
To tell the truth..I don't see any adv that the roof has over the porro..Except for the compactness..And maybe eye relief..
But with twist out eyecups being offered in Porro its out the widow now..
Roof prism may have the adv of being more waterproof, but there is not too many cond where this offers any advantage over the porro..One would have to dump there bino in a lake to notice..
It takes 200-300times longer to properly align the Roof Prism models over Porro prism..
Thats where the added expense comes in..Labour..
I can assure you right now those roof prism models that are under
$400.00 you're taking a risk..
Ya might as well stand on the sidewalk and chuck that money into the air and walk away..
You will find lots of lemons in the bunch..
If $300.00 is all ya can afford get Porro and get something made that has a rep of good products,,
Steiner makes lots of good models designed in Porro check them out.
B&L Disc in the Porro is also a great bino..
Swift also has Porro binos that are great..

Quick Reply: Help me pick out new binos

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.