Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Return BIG BARSKAS for quality Nikons?

Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 PM

Default Return BIG BARSKAS for quality Nikons?

Hello All,
I recently bought a big ole pair of Barska 12-60X70's, I have always been a "Tim Taylor, bigger and more power is better" guy. However I have been reading a lot of binocular posts here and you guys might have convinced me that quality is where it's at with glass. Should I return those Barskas and put the 100 bucks towards a pair of Nikon Monarchs? From what I have read here and elsewhere they are tough to beat for the price. I do like the power of the Barskas but a stable image is tough at high power, almost useless without a tripod a very big and bulky for the field. What do ya think? Thanks to all opinions.

Metro
Old 06-29-2005, 11:20 PM

Default RE: Return BIG BARSKAS for quality Nikons?

I've worked my way up the $ chain with optics - if I'd started where I ended up (Leicca and Swarovski) I'd saved a bunch of money.
Old 06-30-2005, 05:11 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Rick , and I own a pair of Barskas . They aren't the best , but they are at least serviceable .
Old 06-30-2005, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

The $60 Barska Seahawks that Cabelas sells aren't bad for the price though the difference between them and either the Nikon Monarchs or the Bushnell Legends is instantly noticeable. Almost like night and day. With optics it definitely is a situation where you get what you pay for. The Monarchs and the Legends are two of the best buy optics out there right now. I think you should invest in one of them.