Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Spotting Scope or Binoculars?

Old 06-10-2005, 08:29 AM

Default Spotting Scope or Binoculars?

Can somebody give me a good word of advice. I am about to purchase either some binoculars or a spotting scope. Can someone give me the advantages or the disadvantages or each, and also give me some good ones to choose from I am trying to stay under $300. I am looking at the Nikon Monarch line of binoculars, and the leupold line of spotting scopes. Thanks for everyones help.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spotting Scope or Binoculars?

Binoculars are a necessity while a spotting scope is a nice to have.You glass with binoculars and then use a spotting scope to make out more detail.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

S.J. has the right idea but I would say get the best set of binoculars you can afford and don’t worry about the spotting scope. Good binoculars are allot more useful then a spotting scope especially when hunting.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:27 AM

I would go for the binoculars. I also have the nikon monarch and have been very happy with them, think I paid around 300 for them. You use the binoculars to locate game, then you can use a spotting scope to judge trophy quality precisely. I just have binoculars.
Old 06-11-2005, 08:54 AM

I use my spotting scope (Leica) at the range - I take binoculars (also Lecia) hunting. I did carry the scope with me once hunting - once was enough to know I don't want to do it again.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:04 PM

Is there any other brands of binoculars that would fit in my price range. Also, does Nikon have a lifetime warranty or is it a 25 year warranty.
Old 06-12-2005, 02:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can check www.cabelas.com or www.theopticzone.com just to get an idea of price range and it looks like Nikon has the 25 year warranty from what I’ve seen in the catalogue.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:18 AM
Fork Horn

the pentax dcf line is in that price range, and they are some really great binos. i have never used the nikons myself, but have heard good things about them too.

i really liked the pentax.
Old 06-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Definitely binos. I have both and cannot imagine totin' around a spotting scope with a full sized tripod into the woods. Binoculars, on the other hand, can be utilized equally well while in a stand or in a car.

As for choices, under $300 I would definitely opt for either the Nikon Monarchs or Bushnell Legends. Both offer excellent optics for the price. I have seen several reputable optics critics rate them in the 8-8.5 range when considering the $1000+ optics as 10s.

Check out the following links for more info....

www.birdforum.net

http://www.consumersearch.com/www/sports_and_leisure/binoculars/reviews.html

http://dmoz.org/Recreation/Birding/Optics/
Old 06-21-2005, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

I agree that binos are far more useful for locating game and if you're only going to buy one, binos would be a smart buy. I have friends who have Nikon binos and spotting scopes and I've been very impressed with their optical quality. If possible when you buy your binos, go to a store that has several models so you can make sure you get the right power and size. It's hard to recommend a specific size bino without knowing what type of hunting you plan on doing.