Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Trail Cams at Night

Old 06-02-2005, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trail Cams at Night

I am new to the use of trail cams and had a question for those out there who have used them. At night when the camera flashes at a deer, have you all found that this spokes the deer? or, have you seen the deer in the area after getting flashed by one of the trial cams? I ask, because I put two up in an area where i have been seeing a very good size deer and i don't want to have him get flashed at night and then i never see him again.
any advice would be helpful,
thanks,
JNTURK
Old 06-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trail Cams at Night

I've been using trail cameras for almost a year now and rarely has it spooked the deer, this winter it would take pictures every 5 mins while they were feeding on corn and it didn't seem to phase them in the least, in some cases it has startled them a little and they may wonder off but nothing that would make them leave the area for good. Good luck, I hope ya get soem pics of him.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:17 PM

I agree, I have some approaching the cam out of curiousty. It may startle some but not spook them out of the area. Post some pics when you get them.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

I see this as a "50/50 issue". I have noticed that some deer avoid the cam area after only one or two pictures while others continue to use it for an extended period of time. Now whether or not this is because the flash spooks them or they were just passing through I cannot say.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:46 PM
Fork Horn

PABowhntr, answered it best! I had a unit set up for 1 minute at a mineral site (new user at the time). I had a button buck eat a fresh 24 roll at the site and kept eating the Lucky Buck I poured. It was obvious he noticed the flash, but ignored it. I had a doe put its face right against the camera once.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:15 PM

I think it also depends on if it is 35mm or digital. The 35mm makes noise and the digital don't. These deer came back day after day.
Old 06-12-2005, 04:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

I took almost 4000 pictures last year with my Cuddeback and the flash don't bother them much if any at all, I have some pictures of some pretty good bucks with a lot of them being taking just minutes apart of the same deer, and almost every night.