Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scent lok

Old 05-22-2005, 06:15 PM

Default scent lok

what do you all think of scent lok? does it work? thinking bout buying some not sure what I want to buy yet.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:23 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scent lok

Yes , ScentLokā„¢ will adsorb scent for awhile , but not permanently . Don't believe that "recharge in any dryer crapola either , it isn't scientifically possible .

A good way to try out carbon gear would be to get a couple of mil issue MOPP suits , you can find a jacket/pants set at Sportsman's Guide for $15 . Use the search bar on the left side of the homepage to search for "chemical suits" . Hang them outside right before a rain to let the water wash off the "factory smell" , then air dry and pack them away in a scent free bag of some sort until ready to use . DO NOT PUT A MOPP SUIT IN THE WASHING MACHINE ! You can wear the suit for 1-2 weeks before discarding it if you keep the outside of it uncontaminated or at least scent covered , they have a huge amount of carbon in them .

After descenting them as described above , pick a cool morning to try one out on a photo safari . Deliberately try to approach deer from varrying degrees of upwind approach . The first time I wore one a foursome of does walked to within feet of me as I sat in an ordinary black cloth folding chair . The suit was plain old Woodland camo pattern . Besides wearing the carbon suit the only other precaution I had taken was a shower with scent free bodywash and a Fresh Earth cover scent spray all over . They had no clue that I was there until I moved and the wind was in their favor .

I have also used this pattern with equal success , and the built in suspenders were a nice touch:British DPM
Old 05-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

john, save your money for hunting gear that you really need. A new bow, rain gear or maybe a range finder.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:17 PM
Spike

I agree they work to a certain extent, but have still been nailed while wearing them. I wear Scent Lok Dakota and I think it helps, but doesnt totally eliminate.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I think that if you bow hunt a lot it is worth the money. I think it works very well but it is not 100%. The important thing is to keep it sealed up in a scent free bag untill just before you go out and take it off as soon as you get in. It is important to keep the outside of the scent lock scent free as well. I have the Scent Lock Savana series and I really like it.
Old 05-24-2005, 01:14 PM

I feel it makes a difference too. It's not 100%. You still need to have the wind right, but I feel it helps when the wind is shifty, or swirling. I'll be buying some more this year.
Old 05-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I saved my money, B/c while it may work intially after that no way to release the molecules from the carbon. Like Kevin already mentioned scientifically impossible to acheive what they "STATE" with clothes dryer. Also the fact my wifey insists on using those pretty smelling sheets in the dryer my hunting clothes have never seen one nor will unless I either find a new wife or dryer...lol!

Let see last fall I attempted a stalked on a bull moose only to get busted by unseen cow/calf pair(not scented but rather walked up on them in a bowl), which bumped the bull at a fast rate back to the pines. I then made the trek back to my call spot and was dripping with sweat, less than an hour later I called in a dropped another Bull Moose with a light breeze that had switched on me somewhat unfavorably in midst of luring him to offer a shot. End result was a dead bull less than 100 yards away...no scent loc. It turned out the wind was blowing right towards the point I dropped him on (didn't really realize it until I got to the bull). So does this mean I should now just hunt in my sweaty clothes and forget the wind?? No of course not! Sh!t happens and often unexplained when it comes to why an animal did this or that on a particular day. So to me the price tag for scent loc simply isn't worth it, as I hunt the wind and in the those cases where things happen out of your control, realize sometimes your the BOOT and others your the A$$, regardless of what you may or may not be wearing.

I will say though if you feel more confident as a hunter with Scent loc, etc then their is no such thing as wasted money to you personally, I am a firm believer in confidence being a key! So you must deciede, as their is clearly 2 camps with this and many issues in the hunting world[&:]

Best of luck
Old 05-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Foz

A MOPP suit?

Brilliant!

You might also consider using an internal deodorant in conjunction with scentless soap / laundry detergent and some common sense steps to avoid contaminating yourself [don't suit up for the hunt and then run down to the corner and fill up your truck - spilling gasoline on yourself].

I use a product called Nullo - its is super-concentrated tablets of a copper chlorophyll complex. Nullo should not be compared with Alphalfa derived chlorophyll extracts as found in the health food store... Nullo has a clinical use history as a pharmacological product, having been used for years in hospitals and long term care facilities for incontinence and colostomy patients. Amazing stuff... it is now also being sold for chronic body odor, bad breath, and foot odor control.

Dose yourself up for a few days and it'll make a major dent in the source of your scent [you], working from the inside out.

http://www.nullo.com

The manufacturer sells direct from their website, but the best price I have found on the web is here:

http://tinyurl.com/8fs5w

Please post if you have found a better one.
Old 05-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Fork Horn

yes it works, anything that help reduce our scent is a plus. Nothing is 100% but I'm a believer! One important point makes sure you use a scentlok face mask as we know most of our scent is emitted from our breathing and head. I use the full head net and love it, it has a mesh over the hears so your hearing isn't impaired.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:58 AM
Typical Buck

Think of it as being like Gore-tex you don't Need it but it is very nice to have. When you invest $500 to $1000 in a bow and gear for it, spending $250 on camo Scent lok is a minor investment. Look how much money waterfowl hunters spend on waterproof clothing $200- $500 for a parka and bibs, do they need it, No but it definitely helps. When you get as close to the action as bow hunting Scent lok helps a lot, it is a very rare occasion that I get winded anymore and my father has used it since it first came out. He has since then got newer Scent lok and it does last for a number of years.

Quick Reply: scent lok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.