Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

scent lok

Old 05-27-2005, 09:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: scent lok

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Yes , ScentLok™ will adsorb scent for awhile , but not permanently . Don't believe that "recharge in any dryer crapola either , it isn't scientifically possible .
British DPM

I would like to read some of that information. Any idea where I might find some? Most of what I've read is nothing more than "because I said so" kind of info of which I don't find too impressive.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:15 AM

Heres a real good article on this issue.

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.htm
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: nodog

ORIGINAL: kevin1

Yes , ScentLok™ will adsorb scent for awhile , but not permanently . Don't believe that "recharge in any dryer crapola either , it isn't scientifically possible .
British DPM

I would like to read some of that information. Any idea where I might find some? Most of what I've read is nothing more than "because I said so" kind of info of which I don't find too impressive.
There was a thread on the subject here awhile back and one of the folks who replied works in the activated carbon field , or at least some of their products use it in the manufacturing process . He stated that activated carbon cannot be produced at home , or reactivated , because of the level of heat required . A home dryer doesn't get much above 200 degrees F , and to reactivate carbon requires temps that would incinerate the garment . Try doing a thread search here for "scentlok" or " activated charcoal suits" . You should have no trouble finding several threads .

This is the principal reason why I buy MOPP suits , they're cheap and disposable . They can be worn under thin camo clothing if you want a particular pattern other than Woodland or plain olive drab . Personally , after airing them out I just wear them as is .
Old 06-03-2005, 12:11 AM

ORIGINAL: johndeer44

what do you all think of scent lok? does it work? thinking bout buying some not sure what I want to buy yet.
It is first important to under how we stink. Most people forget. or just don't know, that 1/3 of our scent comes from our feet & hands, 1/3 from our neck up and 1/3 the REST of your body. Everyone seems caught up in wearing Scent this and that on their body, but forget or neglect the other 2/3's. Personally, if you sit in a tree stand all day long, where it, it can "help". I've seen this theory put to the test and it worked, but we put our clothes on in the field, kept it in a scent bag, worse scent lok gloves, full masks and rubber boots! Alot of work, but again, in a stand, maybe worth it. I won't be doing it again, but I don't hunt stands.

With that in mind, If you hike much, even a little bit, it's worthless in my opinion. Yah, it helps, but to what extent and for how long? So the animal smells you just a little bit? Bottomline, he still smells you. Your mouth alone is a stink bug and a little hike will put a few drops of stink in places your scent suit wont stop. I mostly chase Mulies and Elk all day and I think it's a pure rip off for that type of hunting/hiking.

Personally, even if you sit in a stand all day, I'd save my money. Like someone else said, spend it on Gore-tex or something. That fabric is hands down proven and #1 if you even think of getting wet. Gore-tex and wool, the only two hunting apparel products I'll spend the extra money on.

I say, be scent smart. Learn how the body creates scent and where. You can still be scent smart and knock down alot of scent w/o those lousy suits by just spending a little money on the other major scent areas, etc.

Finally, the 3 most important things about scent control: Wind.. Wind.. Wind
Old 06-03-2005, 12:43 AM

I'm curious. All the people that said save your money, they dont work. Have you even tried them, or are you restating what you have heard from other hunters? I for one am a big fan of scent loc/block clothing. It has saved me on more than one occasion from swirling winds and deer who decided to come down wind of my set up. The number one reason the suit fails is because people fail to use it properly. One you must use the complete system, head net, top, bottom, gloves and rubber boots. If you put scent wafers in with your suit you will clog up the carbon with a foriegn oder. The botton line, nothing is 100% but if you can fool that mature buck even once then it is all worth it. Really it's a matter of opinion, but mine is if you want that extra edge than it's worth it. just my 2 cents
Old 06-03-2005, 08:20 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PYseeker

I'm curious. All the people that said save your money, they dont work. Have you even tried them, or are you restating what you have heard from other hunters?
In my case it's personal experience . I've gone out covered from head to toe with carbon and not got busted the first time a deer crossed the wind near me . The second time , despite meticulous washing and protection from contamination , I got busted . Carbon isn't forever , it clogs pretty quickly regardless of what the manufacturer says or how well you treat the garments .

I for one am a big fan of scent loc/block clothing. It has saved me on more than one occasion from swirling winds and deer who decided to come down wind of my set up. The number one reason the suit fails is because people fail to use it properly. One you must use the complete system, head net, top, bottom, gloves and rubber boots.
Hook , line , and sinker ... I honestly hope that you got all that gear for free , because it will fail eventualy , and much sooner than you think .

The botton line, nothing is 100% but if you can fool that mature buck even once then it is all worth it. Really it's a matter of opinion, but mine is if you want that extra edge than it's worth it. just my 2 cents
Sound advice , but I'll never spend what you did for all that fancy crap just to find out as long as Uncle Sam keeps making $15 MOPP suits , no deer is worth that to me .
Old 06-03-2005, 09:38 PM

ORIGINAL: PYseeker

I'm curious. All the people that said save your money, they dont work. Have you even tried them, or are you restating what you have heard from other hunters?
Yes, I have tried it, as stated above. I think in a treestand it might be worth it, but only if you do it all and that's EXPENSIVE! When scent lok is more affordable, then I say sure get it, but with the question out there "is it worth it?", I say no.... save your money.
Old 06-04-2005, 08:50 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: kevin1

Sound advice , but I'll never spend what you did for all that fancy crap just to find out as long as Uncle Sam keeps making $15 MOPP suits , no deer is worth that to me .

You are correct about the army MOPP suits they contain alot of carbon in them, but they are bulky, ucomfortable and when bowhunting are a hinderence to me. Plus after being in the army for 12 plus years I refuse to wear any military issue when enjoying my off time
Old 06-13-2005, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: papellet

Heres a real good article on this issue.

http://www.fastestbows.com/articles/...cent_suits.htm
Well I read the article and here's my impression. The guy was definitely biased and took a good part of the article to say so in so many words. I don't know why someone can't just present the facts. One fact that is never addressed is the movement of the dryer. Put a rock in a tumbler of sand and it will change yet no one mentions this. They don't say put them in the oven at 150. As far as the military suits, they are not made to keep stink in but poisons out. It's much easier to destroy the suit than continue to handle it.

It could just be that because scent lok type suits don't give out much scientific info that others who would like to know and are just trying to get them to talk, like happens often with people. I don't know. I know when I'm being winded and have had opportunities to test the theory and can say that when I wore it 2 deer that had busted me a number of times in the past, one I sat next to for 2 hrs. and the other is in the freezer. It was evident that there was a change in things the first time I wore them. Will they work this season, will see.

When so many people start worrying about me being duped it makes me a little nervous.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey if it,s something you think you need than get it. I tried it hated the head gear all I could hearwas it rubbing on my neck. It was hot and after i breathed in that mask for a few hours it smelt like i had a chitty pampers tied around my head. The clothing is noisy but really fashionable. Next time I will save my money and buy some breath mints and a cotton tee.

Quick Reply: scent lok

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.