Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.

Hound dog dilema

Old 11-13-2005, 06:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hound dog dilema

I have decided to get some hounds to hunt "varmints" and I need some advice on what breeds are good for what. Im looking into Redbones right now but any advice would help. --thanks

(I'm planning on hunting, Racoons, possums, squirrels, and maybe coyotes and feral hogs)
Old 11-13-2005, 07:09 PM
Banned

Default RE: Hound dog dilema

For the game you plan to hunt, I would take a long look at some of the cur breeds. Leopards, Camus, Kemmerer stock, Original Mt Cur, ect.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:07 PM

We use redbone for coon.
Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 PM

walkers will run coon and coyotes. we have one this year that decided he likes to run possums better than coons. we are trying to get that broke out of him.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:48 AM

I don't know how good they would be for the squirrels, but as for the hogs and coons you could go with the North Carolina state dog, the Plott Hound. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I have heard good things from owners of the breed. They are widely used to hunt dangerous game, hogs, bears and cats. They have no fear when it comes to getting involved in a scrap with the game. When I was living in Georgia I had a buddy that was entering the coon trials, he had never heard of the breed. Soat one of the events he asked one of the old timers about Plotts, his response was, "They are like a Pit Bull on stilts." I have always liked that description.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:08 PM

If you are wanting treeing dogs i use original mountain cur.I use for coon,squirrel and opossum nver treid them on hogs or coyotes.Ihave some for sale or trade if you need info(peds'pics)just email me at [email protected]
TRIPLE R RANCH