Community
Hunting Dogs Still looking for that perfect hunting companion? Well look no further, you've come to the right place.
View Poll Results: A poll
Walker
40.91%
Redbone
27.27%
Bluetick
27.27%
Leopard Cur
4.55%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

best coonhound

Old 07-14-2005, 08:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best coonhound

LOL! Im the one needing to grow up? LOL Im not TELLING you where to post it. Im just giving you advice. You won't get much response here. When did I say anything about since Im a life member I can call the shots? Wanna quote that for me? Thats what I thought.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:34 AM

one vote for walker here.

My uncle bought a Walker coon hound "Buzz" when he was about 8 years old (the dog) and that was the most amazing coon dog we have ever seen. He was the only dog we needed and we often got alot more coons than the local guys with several dogs. He would catch alot of coons on the ground and kill them onthe ground and he could run anything. He is now 15 years old and has seen his better days. His eyes and ears are getting bad, and we don't think he can smell very good anymore because the last few times out he didn't do much for us. ALthough last year when he was 14 years old he had one really good night and we ended up coming home with 25 coons, it was amazing. Before that our record was 18 coons in one night. He has been a great dog and we will miss him. He definetly had a good life, he should have been dead long ago, dog fights, coon fights, he got shot, we lost him for 6 days and he was almost dead when we found him, but he is still kicken at 15 yrs.

Last year we got 2 female Walker pups from a guy in Illinois. They were pretty young so we didn't get too far with them last year, and they were kind of gun shy. We have been working with them and one has really come around and likes to fight coons and is no longer gun-shy, but the other is turning out to be pretty useless. Buzz set our expectations so high that I think we expect too much out of the new dogs.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:48 PM

You forgot to mention a very good breed...MOUNTAIN CURS. Some say they are far less stubborn than hounds. I know of some who quit hunting hounds when they got curs. Just a thought.
Old 07-24-2005, 07:06 PM

About redbones here.
Old 07-25-2005, 05:17 PM

I might be a pointing dog lover, but I still like to coon hunt on ocassion and I used to own a male bluetick that was just awesome! I had a chance to hunt over a Walker and a Redbone, but nothing compared to that buetick! But just as with any pointing dog, it really does depend on the breeding and the natural ability has. You can't judge a dog by its breed, only by its breeding.
Melissa
Old 08-01-2005, 07:11 PM
Typical Buck

I voted Walker. But I also hunt English redtick
Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Yellow Lab? haha jk...i dont hunt coons but it sounds fun...
Old 08-02-2005, 07:34 AM

I'd have to go with redtick, of course he doesn't hunt but he loves some squirrels. Elvis is a hounddog.
Old 08-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Spike

Have to go with Redbone as all around best. Been hunting coon hounds for alomst 30 years now and have owned them all.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:37 PM

As a guide who has hunted with many types of dogs for many different types of game I think that each breed has it's pluses and minuses. But with that being said for all around grit and natural hunting ability I don't think that any thing beats a well bred bluetick. Although the most stubborn of all the hounds, the bluetick will out sniff, out run, and out last any other breed out there.