Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Weekend Boar

Old 05-02-2016, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Weekend Boar

I say it is a weekend boar because I hunted Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night before finally getting him, 6 hours of driving, some 14 hours in the stand. He kept coming, but at wildly differing times.

Turned out to be a good boar, 230 lbs.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well listen to you gettin all "doctory" in your shot description! Nice shot kiddo!
Old 05-02-2016, 12:53 PM
Fork Horn

Something from a previous life, but as I have been trying out these Berger bullets, I have had a couple of requests for specific information on what damage is being done by the shots, so when I have time to examine the wounds, I do.
Old 05-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

you should see how bergers perform at long range, have around 40 deer down with them beyond 500 yards
RR
Old 05-02-2016, 04:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the good boar.
Old 05-02-2016, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've been going through the same thing, been stalking a 4 plus year old Boar. He is pretty unpredictable and seems to be really canny to have survived this long. I've seen his sign. And spotted an area he regularly visits near a group of small hobby farms and large truck gardens. He keeps jumping the border between the next village (county) and my counties forest preserve. I need different permissions hunt both.

I've spotted him twice, once months ago in an Oak woods (eating Acorns) and lately in the woods near the farming area. He has what looks like a long bullet scar on his left flank. Probably why he has survived so long, he learned the hard way.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 05-02-2016 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Been after the biggest wild boar hog i've ever seen. Knew he was visiting our lease from the tracks, scat and game camera photos. Then our wetlands lease was flooded with 3-5 feet of water. When the water went down there were stray cattle on the place, black ones. Saw the hog and at first thought it was a yearling steer.

The hog was about 125 yards away; way outside my comfort zone for iron sights. Wish i had the TC Black Diamond, would have put a .452 330 grain hard cast bullet through both shoulders.

i have one rule: Got to take the hog with a muzzleloader.

Last edited by falcon; 05-03-2016 at 05:51 AM.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
you should see how bergers perform at long range, have around 40 deer down with them beyond 500 yards
RR
Be sure to call me when you do the 40 hogs down beyond 500 yards.

The Berger VLD-Hunting seems to be a good killing bullet. It's performance seems to differ somewhat from the advertised claims, however. Of the 9 hogs recovered so far, the round over penetrated 8 of them, as much as 26" or so. The massive energy dump that is supposed to produced hydrostatic shock seems iffy, at best. As near as I can tell, the Berger do no better with hydrostatic shock than other bullets. It does have the potential to produce fairly amazing wound profiles, but if you are a meat hunter, it also has the potential to ruin a lot of meat that would not otherwise be ruined.
Old 05-03-2016, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

DNS: That is very interesting.

i've reloaded the Berger VLD Target bullets in caliber .308. They are very accurate. i'm not sure how the hollow point Target bullets differ from the VLD Hunting bullets.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:15 PM
Spike

Thank you for one of the rare competent descriptions of the wound track. Too often I read "I hit him in the shoulder," which tells one nearly nothing about what internal structure were disrupted and how to correlate the animal's behavior with the particular shot.