Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Baiting hogs

Old 02-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Spike

Default Baiting hogs

I have a place that is a tad far away to get to more than once quarter. So I keep a feeder tossing a little corn just to keep the hogs coming around. My brother stopped by yesterday to check a few things and found the feeder was down in a flood and all the corn ruined. It could not be fixed.

So next time I go, i'd like some ideas on how to bait hogs late on a Friday night so I have a better chance of seeing them on Saturday morning.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Old Smoke; 02-24-2016 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-24-2016, 06:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

That will prove difficult if not impossible because unless there are a bunch of hogs in the immediate area it will probably take a while to bait the area again to start having them come around on a consistent basis. To place any kind of bait out one night and expect to see hogs the next morning IMHO is wishful thinking.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

One way to keep them coming around is a giant steaming pile of compost. They really like worms.

If the pile is big enough and has the right ingredients it will never freeze as long as you keep adding material to it periodically.

A bit of work in the beginning, but upkeep is minimal.

I start mine with restaurant leftovers, cover it with horse stall cleanup and then throw any sort of vegetation on top. Hogs, Fox and Yotes will all pay it regular visits.

Just be careful where you put it, they can start on fire. I've had mine smoking before.

You can also mix in some Oats, the heat from the compost will cause the Oats to sprout even in winter, Deer love the sprouts.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
That will prove difficult if not impossible because unless there are a bunch of hogs in the immediate area it will probably take a while to bait the area again to start having them come around on a consistent basis. To place any kind of bait out one night and expect to see hogs the next morning IMHO is wishful thinking.
My thought, too, but I have to work with what I've got and that ain't much.

Guess I'll woop up a batch of hog stank, set it out Friday afternoon late and see what I see.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Old Smoke
My thought, too, but I have to work with what I've got and that ain't much.

Guess I'll woop up a batch of hog stank, set it out Friday afternoon late and see what I see.
That's really about all you can do and then cross your fingers there are some hogs within sniffing distance that can't resist coming in.
Old 02-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Fork Horn

I have had to do this from time to time. The only think I have found to work okay is beer corn. I get an 18 pack of the cheapest nastiest beer at the store and a bag of corn then I split the bag between 5 gal buckets with lids and split the beer among them then let it sit on the back of the property for at least 2 weeks. Most of the time it pops the lid, but is some rank stuff I always duck tape the lid when I put it in the bed of the truck to travel to my hunting grounds.

i did put out some of that rootin juice one year in Bow season and had a wallow there by the time I got back for rifle season, but i really didn't see any more then the beercorn mash.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:18 PM
Spike

I know just the beer to use. $6 / case.
Old 02-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Old Smoke
I know just the beer to use. $6 / case.
Oh yeah will work just fine!!!! side note my buddy likes to use Kool-aide in his also I think the beer works better but he swears by it and kills plenty of pigs, but we got no shortage of them here in FL.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've used Nuoc Mam, a Vietnamese condiment (smells like rotten fish guts). You can find it at any old school Oriental market. Warning! I had a bottle leak in the back of my Jeep, stank for months.

The last time I used it there was whole sounder rooting around where I had spread some the day before. I spread it on a game trail they used hoping to get them to stop and investigate long enough for a shot, worked out fine.

You can let it drop by drop across a likely path (maybe a hundred yards wide) and then dump the mother load. This stuff really stinks if you get the good stuff, a little goes a long ways.

If they are anywhere around they are likely to come investigate.

They used to have a law (the Greens pushed through) forbidding baiting Hogs here with Corn (repealed it after a couple of years) we had to get creative.

Last edited by MudderChuck; 02-25-2016 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 01:14 AM
Spike

Nuoc Mam. There are not any Vietnamese markets in this part of Buba Country, but I'll give a look see.

Thansk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.