Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

135 lb. Boar Wipeout - Thermal Hunt Video

Old 09-20-2014, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default 135 lb. Boar Wipeout - Thermal Hunt Video

http://youtu.be/qF8num6K8I4

This is a brief video of a hunt on a property where I help keep the hogs (and sometimes predators) in check. It is an endless task because the neighboring properties are not hunted regularly.

It was a work day on the property (called TBR) and since we finished late, I stayed to hunt. Turned out well. The only downside is that about 30 minutes after this guy got hauled off, a sounder came through the same field, LOL.

The first shot was good, breaking the left arm and ruining the lungs and such. The second shot was a tad high and missed. The third shot put an end to movement.

He ended up having decent cutters for a small board, but they aren't seen in the photo because his mouth was full of dirt at the time.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good job. Get them hogs.

We started trapping hogs three days ago. Yesterday we had 3 small hogs.
Old 09-21-2014, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

I looked into traps. Man, trapping theory is as wild as hunting theory!
Old 09-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

I looked into traps. Man, trapping theory is as wild as hunting theory!
Wilder!!

Welcome to Hunting Net. We have corresponded on another forum.

Trapping wild hogs was a long learning curve for me. i bought into a lot of hype peddled by internet "hog trappers" who claim hogs will not enter a trap with a bottom, that one must not leave scent on or near the trap, that one must put diesel on the corn to deter coons, that one must not field dress the hogs anywhere near the trap, ad nauseum, ad nauseum.

Finally we got it right. One of our first catches was five adult hogs. My partner and i were in a hurry. We field dressed those hogs within 10 feet of the trap. We re-baited and set the trap. Next morning we had five more hogs in that trap.

Catching wild hogs is easy, especially where no one has previously trapped them. Our portable traps have root doors that are initially propped open with a stake. The stake has a taut line attached that runs through a pulley. The line is tied off on the opposite side of the trap about two feet from the front. The bait is in the very front of the trap. First hog/s hit the tripline dislodging the stake and the door falls. Additional hogs can push into the trap.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/l...r/DSC01309.jpg

Between October, 2013 and May, 2014 we trapped over 175 hogs.

Last edited by falcon; 09-21-2014 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Fork Horn

Trapping or hunting, I consider a lot of what people believe to be on the par with religion - ranging from faith-based beliefs (such as some you mentioned) down to explicit rituals of dress and behavior.

One of my favorites is the ceremonial gut pile burial to hide the evidence of killing from other animals...as if they care. To be honest, it just seemed like a lot of extra work for me and then for the coyotes to have to dig it up later anyway.

I still have my lucky undershorts. I know they work when I get a hog. If I don't get a hog, the fault is obviously elsewhere.

I think you have got a good plan. You found what works well for you where you are and that is what matters.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

One of my favorites is the ceremonial gut pile burial to hide the evidence of killing from other animals...as if they care.
After killing a deer or hog i sometimes set up near the gut pile and ambush coyotes as they come in. i've had two coyotes beat me to deer that i killed not more that 150 yards from my stand.