Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Best way to attract hogs

Old 01-11-2011, 11:58 AM
Spike

Default Best way to attract hogs

I just recently built a trap and set it where some hogs were rooting up the ground. I have been putting corn out to try and attract them but the birds and squirrels keep eating the corn. I was just wondering what some of you use to attract them.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

what is your trap like? You have to feed them with out setting the trap for a while. When they get used to going in and getting the feed set it. The other critters will not eat much. I have caught up to 6 at a time in a trap.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by WildLifeSniper85
I just recently built a trap and set it where some hogs were rooting up the ground. I have been putting corn out to try and attract them but the birds and squirrels keep eating the corn. I was just wondering what some of you use to attract them.
If you use sour corn the other animals will generally leave it alone.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let them know you are buying the drinks and you will dance with them, even if your friends are watching.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by WildLifeSniper85
Soak your corn in water and cover it for a week and let it get good and sour.....
Old 01-12-2011, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

5 gallon bucket
fill with corn
add blue bull malt liqueur 40 oz
add kool aid, usually the berry flavors werk best.
Put the lid on, leave in the sun, when ya open it and gag, its ready.
Get a net bag, usually sold with oranges in them, fill this net bag with the bait, hang from top of the trap, so the wind can get ahold of it
bury the rest in the back of the trap behind the trip wire.
Sometimes hogs are trap shy, in some areas, such as mine, having a bottom on the trap will tend to make them back out of the trap.
Leaving the trap tied open and baited and setting the trap after awhile is a good idea, especially if you are not there.
If yer 3 days or more from checking a set trap, always a good idead to bury a 5 gallon bucket most of the way and putting water in it so the hogs dont de-hydrate before you get back. Gl
Old 01-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
5 gallon bucket
fill with corn
add blue bull malt liqueur 40 oz
add kool aid, usually the berry flavors werk best.
Put the lid on, leave in the sun, when ya open it and gag, its ready.
Get a net bag, usually sold with oranges in them, fill this net bag with the bait, hang from top of the trap, so the wind can get ahold of it
bury the rest in the back of the trap behind the trip wire.
Sometimes hogs are trap shy, in some areas, such as mine, having a bottom on the trap will tend to make them back out of the trap.
Leaving the trap tied open and baited and setting the trap after awhile is a good idea, especially if you are not there.
If yer 3 days or more from checking a set trap, always a good idead to bury a 5 gallon bucket most of the way and putting water in it so the hogs dont de-hydrate before you get back. Gl
I like the sounds of this one. I got tired of sloshing the sour corn on me but I may try your brew a couple of times.
I bought a bag of corn that I left in the back of my truck during a light rain. I put it under the shed and left it for a couple of weeks. When I went to put it in the feeder there was no smell or anything until I opened the bag. It was an awful smell. It was not a paper bag but a plastic weave type.
Old 01-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Fork Horn

soak corn in diesel for a couple of days, coons and other varmits will leave it alone, so will the crows- hogs love it
Old 01-17-2011, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hoghunter59
soak corn in diesel for a couple of days, coons and other varmits will leave it alone, so will the crows- hogs love it
i wouldnt suggest pouring diesel on food your going to feed your food.
diesel only works in the warm months, splash a little on the ground, preferably sand, the hogs roll in it to get the ticks and stuff off of them. look at the telephone poles, usually find spots where they rub on the pole, they are tryin to get the poles oils on them, to alleviate the ticks.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

no experience with hogs,
did see someone who claimed to trap 700 hogs a year use a pen that held about 12 hogs at a time,
he used corn and fruit

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.