Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Thermocell, hogs and scent

Old 09-14-2009, 03:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default Thermocell, hogs and scent

2 weeks ago my son and I were on our stands and right at sundown out came the hogs. On my feeder the hogs came running thru the woods to the feeder. To his they came within yards but would not come out of the heavy stuff and planted pines. He could hear them all around him. Our stands are about 100 yds apart but we cant see each other.
We both stripped down and washed after exiting the truck and washed and sealed our clothes prior to going out there. The only noticible difference between us is he used a thermocell and I didn't. My thoughts are the thermocell may have caused the pigs to take notice but not spook. I have long been convinced that pigs have a better sence of smell than deer and are a lot more cautiuos. Seems like when ever something changes even throwing down stinky corn the hogs will delay coming in. When I do nothing but get on stand they come out.

You thoughts or experiences?
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use my Thermo-Cell every time I go hunting. I have to or the skeeters will eat me alive. I haven't noticed any difference in the hogs behavior but I always play the wind. If you have a bad wind, it won't matter how much scent control you practice. They're still going to smell you.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think it was the thermocell. I strickly bow hunt a lot of the guys I hunt with use thermocell and get 20 yards from pigs. They swear by it!
Old 09-14-2009, 08:08 AM
Fork Horn

hey Rev I wish i had the real answer to that I have had hogs come right in to our feeders and never even think about it other times they start to come in and never make it to the corn. Some days they just don't come in. We always hunt with a thermacell so are they smelling it or us maybe it is somthing that we have no clue about that stops them from coming to the feed. I hunt at least 5 days a week out of numerous stands at different feeders under all conditions and to tell you the truth I really don't have a clue. All I really know that if the come in or not it's still been a good hunt.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

My theory is this... If you're questioning whether or not the hogs can smell the Thermacell, they're smelling you. If you're hunting the wind, the hogs won't smell you or the Thermacell (if they can actually smell it). If the wind is blowing to where you think the Thermacell is spooking them, they ARE smelling you.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by okeechobeefishing
hey Rev I wish i had the real answer to that I have had hogs come right in to our feeders and never even think about it other times they start to come in and never make it to the corn. Some days they just don't come in. We always hunt with a thermacell so are they smelling it or us maybe it is somthing that we have no clue about that stops them from coming to the feed. I hunt at least 5 days a week out of numerous stands at different feeders under all conditions and to tell you the truth I really don't have a clue. All I really know that if the come in or not it's still been a good hunt.
The only predictable thing about pigs is that they are unpredictable! I've seen them in a field and suddenly just dart off, sometimes scattering while other times following a lead pig.
They are skittish and nervous, good thing they are almost blind. I have stalked them and got within 10 yards of a herd of pigs. That's what makes hunting them so much fun. Not to mention tastey too.

Last edited by The Rev; 09-16-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:00 AM
Dominant Buck

I have killed a few semi-trailer loads of hogs in my time and never have used anything for the scent!
Old 09-16-2009, 04:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Rebel Hog
I have killed a few semi-trailer loads of hogs in my time and never have used anything for the scent!

Oh Mijo, you smell too good.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by The Rev
Oh Mijo, you smell too good.
Hey, hey.........I'm married!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt deer and hogs and I dont use any scent controll or even camo clothing, hunt down wind and sit still and they never know your there.
swirling winds can get you busted.
But sometimes I think animals have a 6th sense, sometimes they no something is up even though you have done everything right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.