Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Butchering a Hog

Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Butchering a Hog

When butchering a hog, do you leave the fat on or remove it as you would on a whitetail? Can you remove unwanted fat and add it to your trimmings to make sausage or do you have to buy it from a store from farmed pigs? Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess you could save the fat. I don't grind my hogs so I trim as much of the fat off as I can.
Old 07-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

I've made sausage once, combining some feral hog and venison. It turned out okay, but not really all that special. So, I haven't made any in the past couple of years. I trim off as much fat as I can from the hogs, and only grind the meat if it's too tough for other use.

Having said that, even a boar the size of the one SWT recently shot makes good ground meat. I usually cook it in something that has a sauce, like spaghetti, but I've also used the meat to make hamburgers which I grilled, and they were quite good.
Old 07-22-2009, 06:45 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by jerseyhunter
When butchering a hog, do you leave the fat on or remove it as you would on a whitetail? Can you remove unwanted fat and add it to your trimmings to make sausage or do you have to buy it from a store from farmed pigs? Thanks in advance.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/hogs...questions.html
Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by der Teufel
I've made sausage once, combining some feral hog and venison. It turned out okay, but not really all that special. So, I haven't made any in the past couple of years. I trim off as much fat as I can from the hogs, and only grind the meat if it's too tough for other use.

Having said that, even a boar the size of the one SWT recently shot makes good ground meat. I usually cook it in something that has a sauce, like spaghetti, but I've also used the meat to make hamburgers which I grilled, and they were quite good.
Yeah, that big boy was really tough. Like rubber.

Do you grind anything in to your hog meat? Like spices?
Old 07-31-2009, 03:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by SWThomas
Yeah, that big boy was really tough. Like rubber.

Do you grind anything in to your hog meat? Like spices?

That's why I only harvest pigs under a hundred pounds. Those are great for the pit, or quarter them up for smaller bar-b-que's. I leave the large pigs for my buddy Rowel..
Old 08-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Typical Buck

IMO, the fat (what little there is) seems to contain more of the 'gamey' punch. So I trim most of it off. Escpecially on the chops. After smoking them, the fat is like a bicycle tire.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mcraddock
After smoking them, the fat is like a bicycle tire.

I agree!

Last edited by The Rev; 08-02-2009 at 07:29 AM.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most wild game fat will have flavor of whatever the critter has eaten,so it all comes off for me! As far as size of hog...large hog BANG deadflop,small pig,same result! I want as much fat and sinue and membrane out of my wild meat as possible.I have heard of folks adding store bought fat when grinding and maybe a small amount of domestic meat.