Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Boar Hunting, First Time, Butchering?

Old 03-26-2009, 12:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default Boar Hunting, First Time, Butchering?

Hey guys. Im going boar hunting in penn in a few weeks. I have never been before. My question. first off i will be going with a Bow, and i have Rag 2 blades and muzzy 3 blades. havent decided which would be better. i have a 60lb bow. now.. my question. about the butchering. does the pig need to hang for a while or a few days before you butcher it? as like when you go deer hunting its best to hang for a while? please advise. i need to know what to do. because the place were going to butchers for you on the spot. thanks guys.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Spike

Default RE: Boar Hunting, First Time, Butchering?

Not a good idea to hang pork. Went with outfitter in FL, got hog with muzzle loader. Guide quartered pork
put on shaved ice and recommended pouring white vinegar right over the ice. Refresh ice as needed, add vinegar with ice, drain water as needed and let be in ice chest for 3 days or so.
Regards,
Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

does the pig need to hang for a while or a few days before you butcher it?

Do not hang a pig. i hunt hogs 12 months of the year in weather thatoften exceeds100 F. At 80 F a hog can spoil in 3-4 hours if it is not put into a cooler or iced down. You hear folks talk about strong hog meat: Most of it ain't strong, it isrotting because it was not properly cared for.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:54 AM
Spike

Best thing to do is put it on ice ASAP. I take the front shoulders and the hams and leave the rest for the buzzards. If the guide butchers it, put on ice immediately. Drain every day and add more ice as needed. After 2 days, add a half cup vinegar and a half cup lemon juice. After 4 days, do the same. I keep them on ice for 6-7 days. The vinegar and lemon juice will take any gamey taste out.

Jeff
Old 03-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got some excellent advice about putting them on ice. We have ours cut up and on ice within 34 minutes of shooting them. We have never have a problem with a wild taste. We don't use the vinegar but it won't hurt.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:24 PM
Fork Horn

ok.. lets say i put them on ice. i get home, can i put directly into the freezer for a few days or a week or somethin? thanks for all the replies already guys.
greatly appreciated!
Old 03-28-2009, 04:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JB55

Best thing to do is put it on ice ASAP. I take the front shoulders and the hams and leave the rest for the buzzards. If the guide butchers it, put on ice immediately. Drain every day and add more ice as needed. After 2 days, add a half cup vinegar and a half cup lemon juice. After 4 days, do the same. I keep them on ice for 6-7 days. The vinegar and lemon juice will take any gamey taste out.

Jeff
Lucky buzzards... They get the backstraps and tenderloins you leave behind....
Old 03-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Fork Horn

thanks for readin guys. and please keep all the good advice comming. this is a 1 day trip. 5 hour drive. so .. its not so bad. going to Tioga Preserve in Penn. im from Longisland
Old 03-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Usually I keep them on ice for about 4- 5 days that gives time for the blood to drain out. It makes the meat taste a lot better.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 AM
Spike

ORIGINAL: RuLzU

ok.. lets say i put them on ice. i get home, can i put directly into the freezer for a few days or a week or somethin? thanks for all the replies already guys.
greatly appreciated!
I filet, de-bone whatever you wanna called it and portion the meat before freezing.

Quick Reply: Boar Hunting, First Time, Butchering?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.