Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

wild hog taste??

Old 12-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wild hog taste??

ORIGINAL: falcon

Why?

Pork is not improved by hanging and there is a good chance it will spoil.
X2- Pork does not age like beef or deer. Professional processors will tell you that pork actually spoils if it hangs longer than a day.

Here are my rules on feral hogs for table fare. Any sowor piglet is superb eating. Any barred hog (castrated male that has been released) is good eating. Any boar that is 200 lbs or less and does not have an overwhelming odor from 5ft away will be suitable for any pig pickin. Smelly hogs get donated to the Cuban church down the road, I think they actually prefer it to smell that way!

All of the meat is redder than farm pork and a good bit leaner. Just cook it slow and add a little bit water as it simmers. But the taste is better than store bought IMHO. Just my 2 cents
Old 12-21-2008, 05:39 PM

Ok thanks.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: falcon

Why?

Pork is not improved by hanging and there is a good chance it will spoil.
I don't ever hang any game. I usually quarter it and put in in a large cooler with water and ice. I change the water for a minimum of a week, and until all the water is clear. This has the same affect as hanging the meat in a locker.
I have cooked a small pig the same day I shot it, if it's under 90 pounds. Here is a pic of a little sixty pound porker that was killed in the morning, and we ate it that evening. It was delicious!

Old 12-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't ever hang any game.
Neither do i. Your method of keeping the meat in a cooler with water and ice is a good one:i have used it a few times.

Most folks who have never hunted hogs do not understandhow easily they spoil, especially in hot weather.ioften hunt when the temperature is 90-100 degrees.At80-90 degrees ahog hunter has about three hours to get that hog cooled down with ice or into a cooler; otherwise it will spoil.

Big boar hogs can get pretty rank.Sometimes when they are cleaned up they do not smell bad at all, sometimes they stink just as much astheydid dirty.Another hog hunter told me that the rank boar taste is in thefat. He says to cut off every bit of fat and then add domestic pork fat when making sausage. Sounds like a lot of trouble to me, i just give them away.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:54 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rev

Here is a pic of a little sixty pound porker that was killed in the morning, and we ate it that evening. It was delicious!

I'm so hungry rightnow!!! That sure looks like some good eat'n right there!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like most people said quarter it and put it on ice for a few days draining the water. It gets rid of all the blood and the meat tastes beter to me than any store bought pork. I have one on ice right now that was around 300 lbs. We had it on ice within an hour of being shot. that is another thing you need to make sure you do. Clean it right away and don't let it sit around for a day before you clean them. We slice open the hide from the back and cut out the backstrap and then skin the hindquarters and front shoulders. That way we can cut the front shoulder off and the hindquarters and don't have to gut them. We have so many we never worry about the ribs or what little other meat is wasted.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

The hog I killed a couple weeks ago was gutted and cooled pretty quick! Gutted within 30 minutes and quarted and put in cooler with ice added for the weekend,put in spare ice box when got home for 5-6 days with temp cranked down to just about froze beer temp.No smell and cleaned up real well.I would love to stick a 30-40 pounder have dear old dad dig a pit and light up some hickory,wouldn't be hard to find friends then!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:43 PM
Typical Buck

I love the taste...I killed a young hog about 2 years ago and Had a hog and bbq sandwhich..HMMMM it was GOOD! i dont realy know compared but Its sure enough good!