Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

anyone ever hunt shika deer?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 AM

Default anyone ever hunt shika deer?

What was your expierince wit them? Any info would be great.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:51 AM

Default RE: anyone ever hunt shika deer?

Yes, I have. They are not like whitetail at all, and for the most part are very shy, timid and meek. Not much of a challenge in hunting them, although they are the best eating deer I have ever had. They like to wallow in the mud and theirfur is often caked with it, so look for them in creekbeds with a lot of shade. I don't know if they respond to scent attractants like our white tails. They are often seen inpairs, a buck and a doe.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:55 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bull3540

Yes, I have. They are not like whitetail at all, and for the most part are very shy, timid and meek. Not much of a challenge in hunting them, although they are the best eating deer I have ever had. They like to wallow in the mud and theirfur is often caked with it, so look for them in creekbeds with a lot of shade. I don't know if they respond to scent attractants like our white tails. They are often seen inpairs, a buck and a doe.
Where did you hunt em? Are the simular to a sika?

Old 12-04-2008, 01:40 PM

i don't think shika deer have wild populations in the US. i believe there from china or japan but im not sure.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:40 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

Where did you hunt em? Are the simular to a sika?
Shika is the Japanese word for deer.... So I would presume they are one in the same. Some people call them "sitka" as well.
Old 12-04-2008, 03:45 PM

they have a sika bomb out just like the buck bomb. seen them at gander mountain
Old 12-04-2008, 05:20 PM

They do well on game ranches that have other exotics like fallow and axis deer. I got mine near Ingram, Texas. When with other (exotic) deer it's clear that they are followers, not leaders. Since they aren't that popular I think their population is dwindling, but the meat is the absolute best, better than axis I think. If it's just a meat hunt you are after and the ranch has them I'd opt for one, if the price is the same for all exotics.

I think another reason they aren't sought after is that they are short and squatty with thick brown fur. They'd make good hair on buckskin I think. too.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:44 PM
bigcountry

They do well on game ranches that have other exotics like fallow and axis deer. I got mine near Ingram, Texas. When with other (exotic) deer it's clear that they are followers, not leaders. Since they aren't that popular I think their population is dwindling, but the meat is the absolute best, better than axis I think. If it's just a meat hunt you are after and the ranch has them I'd opt for one, if the price is the same for all exotics.

I think another reason they aren't sought after is that they are short and squatty with thick brown fur. They'd make good hair on buckskin I think. too.
Ones in the wild are anything but followers. They will run a whitetail twice its size out of the swamps. And they are the most aggressive deer. They can run a hunter over. I have killed several wild ones, and are much tougher than whitetails. I don't know about exotics. I won't hunt em.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM

I was referring to ones in the wild; perhaps you are thinking of axis deer instead of sika?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:02 PM
bigcountry

I was referring to ones in the wild; perhaps you are thinking of axis deer instead of sika?
Nope, sika's. Like I said, the only real wild herd in the US I know of is in the Eastern Shore of MD. MD only has twodeer.

Quick Reply: anyone ever hunt shika deer?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.