Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Slave labor camp goes soft. AKA: Another pig hunt.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Slave labor camp goes soft. AKA: Another pig hunt.

Well I tried to keep up a hunting trip for some guys off the net and got ready for some more food plot planting. The deer have mowed my first one down to a bunch of green sticks in two weeks and I wanted to put up another feeder and a stand. I figure for feeders spinning 200 pounds of corn a month along with a food plot should keep some game in the area. I knew that there was going to be ton of work to do so I had several people lined up to participate in the festivities. The game plan was to go up on a Friday and hunt that evening, catch some rest, hunt the morning and then begin the sweatshop labor.

I had four confirmed people for this trip and only three feeders running at the time. This left me with a dilemma but usually in any trip someone drops out so no big deal. Instead I had THREE drop out, so that left myself and Todd (T Bare). Here is a hint for those of you that are going hunting with someone. If you call them a week ahead of time to say you cannot go no big deal. If you call them 12 HOURS ahead of time that is a big deal. Just food for thought. It all worked out great because the person I lease the land from tilled my road before I got there. We met him in town and I gave the grouper/hogfish offering and he told me my road stand was destroyed (more to follow up there). So now I am down to one stand that has not had humans around it. Remember I had to many to go so I made a corn cocktail with sugar, water, and corn. I let it sit a week in the hot sun and man does bourbon smell come to mind. We sprinkled this on the road coming in so maybe a pig would find it. I put Todd in the oaks stand because the wind was right and it had not been messed with. I sat in the swamp stand not really expecting to see anything.

We met at the truck after dark and I had seen a snake (big surprise there…yea right) but Todd shot a hog. Not a good shot. I did not realize that this was the first time he has launched an arrow at anything bigger than a tree rat. He was jumpy and it was a gut shot. Arrow smelled bad but it had a trace of dark red blood so I crossed my fingers for a liver slice. Nope, we trailed her for almost 200 yards by smell alone till she vanished. We were both very disheartened. We checked the corn on the road but no one had found it yet. We slept for a few hours and back in the stands we went. Todd went back to the oaks and I did the swamp but still did not see anything after the second spin. I climbed down to just wander the roads and maybe catch a pig heading to cover. I ambled along till I got close to the road with corn so I decided to check it out.

The first sign was a flick of an ear through my scope. I could see a pretty big pig around the curve of the road through the brush. I hunkered down and slow walked till all of a sudden I see about 18 to 20 small hogs around 10 to 15 pounds each. With visions of pigs nestled in a casserole dish beside carrots, potatoes, and white wine I started to belly crawl down the road. I figured with that many sets of eyes I would get tagged if I tried to walk any closer. Guess what….I got tagged anyway by a small boar at maybe 85ish pounds. Anyone that tells you pigs do not see well is wrong. They see just fine and can pick you out from a pretty good distance. Well this pig did what some pigs do when they are scared but confused. He ran about 10 feet and froze. BIG mistake. I put a round right in his lower chest. For those of you that think you need a Panzer Faust to kill these things think again. I was using a 30-06/165grain SST bullet. It sliced his heart, pulverized his lungs, purified his liver, and exploded his guts. I wish I had used my 22 mag. So we got one for the box. I made a neat contraption for the back of my truck that hoists them in the air and makes cleaning them a snap. So that was nice. Met up with Todd and he did not see anything.

Work camp time. The owner brought his son with a tractor and seed spreader and everything else to plant my road. What was going to take all day with rakes and seed now boiled down to about 30 minutes. HE DID NOT EVEN CHARGE ME!!! So with little else to do now we filled feeders which was hot as hell and went to fix my broken feeder. It was ripped down by what we think was a bear. Teeth and claw marks on the barrel and the actual feeder motor was smashed into pieces no bigger than a 50 cent piece. That was one psycho bear. He even ate the freaking batteries because we found the 6v shell with teethe marks in it. I mean damn how mad do you have to be to eat batteries. Sighted in Todd’s rifle and went home.

Good Times.