Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Blood trailing dog.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Blood trailing dog.

I am looking for a blood trailing dog for my hog ranch. I need a dog that will trail dead or wounded hogs, but won't chase live hogs. Any suggestions?
Old 01-16-2008, 12:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Blood trailing dog.

You're not going to find a dog born knowing what you are expecting from one. You're going to have to train it for what you want in him......

As for Blood Trailing.......Most sensitive Dog nose......Blood Hound

Old 01-16-2008, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am wanting a Bavarian Mountain Hound for trailing deer and hogs, but the only breeder that I have found in the US has a two year waiting list.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:27 PM
Typical Buck

The four best tracking dogs I've ever had for hogs and deer were:

two Beagles
English Setter Bird Dog
Pointer Bird Dog

All I did as for training was put them on a blood trail. I've always believed that it's in a dog or it's not, just like bird hunting, some bird dogs will hunt and retrieve, some won't.

One thing I do highly recommend for a tracking dog, put a shoulder harness on the dog and a leash. I have seen dogs that are allowed to run free while tracking, fine the hog or deer and then come back to you. If they do this, they may not take you back to the down animal. If they stay with the down animal and bark you won't have a problem. The only dog of the four I have used, my first beagle, Toot, she would barkwhen she found the animal. The harness and leash keeps you in control. Most importantly trust your dog til it shows he/she has no interest.

Here's a good example: About 30 days ago a friend had shot a deer right before dark, he and his buddies followed the blood trail in the dark, marking the trail til they lost the blood. My friend told me about the loss of the deer the following morning and said his friends decided to deer hunt til 9 a.m. and would meet him at that time to try and find his deer. He asked if I thought my beagle could find the deer. We met at the site of where they had starting marking the trail. My dog, on the harness/leash took off on the blood trail, then veered off to the left. My friend told me the dog wasn't on the marked blood trail. I told him to go on to where they lost the trail that night and that I was going with my dog. Within 30 minutes, my dog Hunter and I was standing beside the deer. I yelled to my friend and gave him land marks as to where I was. When he and his buddies got to me, he stated there was no way they would have found that deer based on the direction of the trailthey had marked and lost.

My friend couldn't understand how my dog found the deer when he left the marked trail so soon. I explained, it was very simple, in this case, Hunter was, after smelling the blood, winding the deer. He actually made a small circle to the deer, he was using the wind to find that deer.

dog1
Old 01-17-2008, 12:45 PM

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

I am wanting a Bavarian Mountain Hound for trailing deer and hogs, but the only breeder that I have found in the US has a two year waiting list.
Did you try this guy? He's on the forum here. www.hillockkennels.com
Old 01-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: idunno

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

Did you try this guy? He's on the forum here. www.hillockkennels.com
He is the breeder with the 2 year waiting list.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:45 PM

I tried. Good luck with your search
Old 01-18-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

This is Pepper, my Catahoula-Pyrenees mix. She is a great bloodtrail dog. I've been training her for about a year. I keep her on a long leash when we are in the woods so I don't worry about what she might chase. The training wasn't hard at all. She seems to have enjoyed it as much as I have.

Old 01-18-2008, 07:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: txjourneyman

This is Pepper, my Catahoula-Pyrenees mix. She is a great bloodtrail dog. I've been training her for about a year. I keep her on a long leash when we are in the woods so I don't worry about what she might chase. The training wasn't hard at all. She seems to have enjoyed it as much as I have.

Love the looks of that pup!

txj, I ordered my first Catahoula pups from Arkansas in 1963. Crossed Catahoula, American Pit and RhodesianRidge Back for 37 years. Ran hog dogs for 50+yrs all together.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all the good info guys. I'm leaning toward a Beagle or Jack Russell. I need something small enough to go through all the thick cover on our ranch.

Quick Reply: Blood trailing dog.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.