Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Exotic Game Question.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:49 AM

Default Exotic Game Question.

Do those people who kill the exotic animals eat them?? I see them killing them on TV but they never mention eating the meat most of the time. I saw one show where a guy killed a lion and an elephant. Really, did it get eaten??
Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Exotic Game Question.

I think most give it to the local tribe(s) in the area, but also eat some when they are there. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:53 AM

yeh I hear that too.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM

In Africa you're not allowed to import the meat to the US so either the meat is consumed in camp, goes to local tribes or goes to market depending on what it is and where the hunt took place. No worries, it all gets used. To me exotics are non-native species so I thought you were talking about game ranch/high fence hunts in the US in which case I would assume the meat is also used but I'm not sure that there are laws requiring it.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:39 AM
Fork Horn

In Africa nothing goes to waste. From what a few people have told me most of the exotics (goats, sheep etc.) are not suitable for tablefare and most often get dumped or fed to the dogs.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:40 AM

Either / or I don't know the laws for either one.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:29 PM

I had a chance to eat several species of exotics on a deer hunt in Texas...all were excellent!!
Old 12-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Dominant Buck

The only exotics i shoot now are wild boar, and you better believe I eat it. Much better and leaner than domestic hog. Ive shot audad sheep once. We ate it and it was horrible, so I dont shot them anymore. I would like to shoot some axis, red stag, sikka, etc.. I hear most of the exotic deer are good to eat.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hear Nilgay, blue bull,are excellent eating. They are in some of the Texas ranches (King etc).
Old 12-13-2007, 02:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Red Deer, Axis, Sika are all excellent eating meats-I have had them all. Axis 1st then Red Deer (like Elk).

Quick Reply: Exotic Game Question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.