Now I know I will have all sorts of questions for all of you to answer over the next month but I will just start with..." />

Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Lots of Q and A coming

Old 07-02-2007, 08:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Lots of Q and A coming

Well after about two years of dreaming about hog hunting (thanks to all of you guys) it looks like I am going on a trip to Okalahoma in august. Now I know I will have all sorts of questions for all of you to answer over the next month but I will just start with the first. I know this has been beaten into the ground but I am going to ask anyway, What is a good back up firearm/handgun? I will be bringing my bowtech for my primary weapon but I want some worst case scenario insurance. I am not a gun person have a few but I love the stick and string so I have only a small knowledge of firearms. Any advice would be appreciated.

-Kal
Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Lots of Q and A coming

I take my bow and thats about it. So far no problem.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I take a pistol, but that is primarily for snakes, and to keep Ausie-Guy in line.
Old 07-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I dont think we will need it but it is a comfort thing. I can get my hands on a .44 black powder navy colt, would that have the stopping power? I think I may buy a pair of Snake boots for the trip
Old 07-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unless you are very familiar with the firearm and have handled it a great deal, I would probably do without a backup weapon. If you are close enough to shoot one with a bow, you probably aren't going to be quick enough with a firearm to do you any good. Fumbling around with a gun would make you a sitting duck IF a hog charged.

I hunt with a gun, so I don't carry a backup. But so far, I have not been charged by a hog I have shot. Most simply drop dead. A few times, I have had to shoot a hog twice. Usually, they are hiding in the brush, I shoot the part of them I can see, they run out, and I shoot them in the head. Even those hogs have not attacked. They usually try to run away before I can deliver a fatal shot. I've had a few run in my general direction, but they were not charging. They had no clue where the shot came from, and just picked a direction and hauled ham.

Same for hogs my dog is trailing. They will try to turn and fight him, but as soon as they see me, they turn and run. They will run until the dog closes again, turn to fight, then run again. Eventually, they tire and just try to stand the dog off. I shoot them and that's that.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info I dont think I will worry about it too much. I am more wored about snakes, my friend is more wored about the hogs.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck to you on your hunt. I went on a hog hunt in May and was successful. I shot one that weighed 175 pounds, sow, and a spit pigthat was5o pounds. I used my 30-30. It was ood time.

Spudrow from Mo

Old 07-05-2007, 12:34 AM

rankbull,
I'm a little more on your side with the handgun. I always carry a .357 mag as an insurance policy, and on my last hog hunt I was glad for it. The arrow didn't exactly hit where it was sent, and after a couple of hours and some tracking, the boar charged me from under a dead fall. In the back of my mind I was ready for it so it almost didn't really surprise me when I dropped him in mid charge, but I'll always wear my pistol when the rules allow it. This hog was one of about 15-20 I’ve taken over the years with no worries. It just goes to show that no two animals are exactly alike, and expect the worst and hope for the best when trailing wounded game.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

anything will work, we use to shoot hawgs with .22 lr's and drop them in their tracks.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Question #2

-so with a bow I understand it that you treat them like a bear, a quartering away shot. Right?

Quick Reply: Lots of Q and A coming

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.