Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

First time hog hunting advice

Old 12-11-2006, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default First time hog hunting advice

I've been hunting the South Florida WMA's for about a month now and have yet to see a hog. Plenty of hog sign, just no hogs. I've been positioning myself around wet areas where there is plenty of sign. I've usually been hunting from 6-9 am and 2-6 pm. I've also been using a primos hog call on occasion. I guess what I'm wondering is if I'm doing something wrong or if hunting activity has been so high the hogs have moved. Any advice anyone can give would be awesome. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: First time hog hunting advice

If you are near wet areas, you should keep seeing fresh signs. If you are, the hogs are still there. They justmay not be using the area at the times you are hunting. Hogs move a lot at night because they are more comfortable then. They don't see all that great, and at night, everything else is in the same boat they are in. And if somebody starts shooting them, they will change the times of day they pass through the area. If that doesn't work, they will search for new areas.

For a while,hogs were using an area I hunted from 6:30 to 9:00AM or so. After I shot a few, I quit seeing them. But the sign was still there. I found out they weren't moving through until 11:30 PM. So I adjusted accordingly. Every time I shot a couple, they would be about 30 minutes to an hour later moving through. About the time they worked back to 7:00 AM shooting time, they left the property. I quit seeing sign, and the bottom wires on my fences stayed up for a while. It has been a couple of weeks, but I told the guy next to me where to set some traps, and he's trapped some and shot some.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:16 PM
Typical Buck

Is it worth my time to hunt mid-day. I've been told that morning and evening are the only good times.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:54 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: jbowersox

Is it worth my time to hunt mid-day. I've been told that morning and evening are the only good times.
Hogs can't takemuch heat during high noon, but some will feed no matter what.

Yes, early morning and late afternoon are much better than the middle of the day, but if there is an overcast in the middle of the day, chances are you will see some feeding. Of course, I'm talking about stalking them!
Old 12-18-2006, 09:12 AM
Fork Horn

Some of the best advice I've ever gotten was related to deer hunting, but it can be applied to whatever your hunting. "They (hogs in this case) are somewhere all the time." Think about that, if you're seeing fresh sign, then the hogs are somewhere, it's up to you to find where they are if they aren't where you're hunting now!
Old 12-18-2006, 11:06 AM

can you run dogs there? they can locate for you
Old 12-18-2006, 10:43 PM
Typical Buck

You can in some WMA's but not this one. I'm sure that part of the problem is that it is so late in the season. All the hogs have probably been chased out of the area and are probably enjoying the orange groves nearby.