Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

hog dawgs

Old 11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: hog dawgs

And in light of that, most folks you talk with don't know what a pure breed is. Which I don't particularly care for because I have seen some crazy animals, dogs, horses, cats, you name it, come from pure breeding.

Now that's enough, I'm going to a supper (dinner to some, see there), I've been invited to, which is unusual for me. Won't miracles' never cease.

dog1
Old 11-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Curs or Blue Lacys for bay, bulldogs and bulldog crosses for catch.
Old 11-08-2006, 06:44 AM

ok first i want to thank all those that replyed. i read each and every post and thank you for replying to my post.

let me reask my questions here, but first let me explain a little about me, i am a very adept dog trainer,i have trained hounds to hunt coon, and deer, german sheppard dogs to search buildings, search for narcotics, aggression and take downs, the one thing i have never been able to do is train a dog to have heart. if i am looking for a puppy to buy it depends on what i want it to do depends on what i look for, such as ball drive attention span agression level, reactions to hard handling, reactions to soft handling, it social pattern with its siblings, ect. ect..

so if i am looking at haveing a litter of pups or getting a new pup what do i look for in each pup to aid in the best selection of the pups to make a good or great hawg dawg. after this hunting season is over i will be breeding my catahoula and having a litter of pupps those are the ones that i need to pick the best out of.

as for her breeding i am looking at four sires, one is a neopolitan mastiff mix large dog large head, a catahoula bulldog, a rhodesian ridgeback, and a large cur.

again thankyou for your time and input.

Old 11-08-2006, 01:14 PM

if you are statring new you want to get something from proven stock! then you pick a pup that is not shy, is friendly with you and other pups, yet who won't take any crap or back down. i know myself if i have a litter of pups i will mark the ones i don't like the actions of and not sale them to someone wanting a hunting dog i'll give them away to someone wanting a pet. when buying you should talk to people who have hunted with the parents or see them in action for yourself.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: gitrbayed

if you are statring new you want to get something from proven stock! then you pick a pup that is not shy, is friendly with you and other pups, yet who won't take any crap or back down. i know myself if i have a litter of pups i will mark the ones i don't like the actions of and not sale them to someone wanting a hunting dog i'll give them away to someone wanting a pet. when buying you should talk to people who have hunted with the parents or see them in action for yourself.
Very good advice!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:54 PM

reb you know me if there is one thing on this earth i know it's big game dogs and how to get ahold of good ones or make good ones
Old 11-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Hello, i was reading in your forum how you crossed ridgebacks with other dogs, ridgebacks are in my opinion one of the best animals there are, but all the hog hunters in
okla. i have talked to said the pure breed ridgeback would lose interest to easy, so if you would share your cross style i would really appreciate it. I have been hunting all my short life but i am just now getting into hog hunting, a couple of years ago me and a cousin but a string of want to be hog dogs from what i believe was a bunch of retiered used car salesmen (dogs werent much to speak of). So if youre honest and know where some young started dogs are i would like to know!! thanks (i hope your not a used car salesmen)
Old 11-26-2006, 04:46 PM

i know of one at the moment. i know she's started because i personally helped train her
Old 12-06-2006, 08:55 AM

i;m new here, have;nt meet everyone yet. but i have been raiseing and hunting hog dogs along time. yes you can occasionaly get a mutt or pound dog to run or chase a hog. but your success rate will be much higher whenpups come from proven parents. there are many breeds that can and will make great dogs, you just have to figure out what you like. we have been hunting kemmer curs and salty dog catahoulas for years with great success.not all my dogs make it to the brood pens, some don;t even make it period..at 8 to 10 weeks old all you can do is look for health,each pup will develope there own personnality. thats one reason i don;t make my picks until they are 5 to 10 months old. i;m not in the business to sell dogs, i hunt hogs, just my 2 cents. good luck hope this helps