Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

skinning echs.

Old 09-12-2006, 01:18 PM

Default skinning echs.

recently i saw a hog skinned by using a box cutter set about a 1/8 in they cut about 6in stips all the way down then just pulled the strips off. has anyone ever done this. it seemed alot slower to me.plus once you got around the neck you had several strips to deal with. i reckon change is good but i still like the old fashioned way.

any thoughts on this
Old 09-12-2006, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: skinning echs.

Actually I have skinned them that way and it is alot easier. I hang them up by their bottom jaw with a chain or a big hook, then I cut a ring around the hogs neck and right in front of the ears. Then from that ring I start stripping down with a box cutter, dont have the blade stuck to far out but 1/4 in should be fine. Then when you have gone around the hole hog with strips, cut off the front feet. After that I start with the strips. Till about the shoulder you will have to kinda cut the fat to get the strip started but it only takes a second and the strip should pull right on down. They skin real pretty when you strip. The older way leaves a fatter hog all hacked up looking, but it all taste the same just which ever you prefer...
Old 09-12-2006, 02:55 PM
Dominant Buck

Never have, but im going to try. Sounds like a good deal. Thanks for posting.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:33 AM

My buddy and I have been doing this for a couple of years now. IMO, it's a LOT easier and quicker than pulling on the entire cape. We just ring'em around the neck and do the normal ringing of the legs and slit down the chest/belly, then slice down from the neck to the rump about every 6 inches like you mentioned.That thing will peel like an onion. You still have to work a little on the legs & underneath but I think it's quicker overall.

Good luck,

TXMM
Old 09-14-2006, 06:20 AM
Who
Nontypical Buck

I keep my knives very sharp but my first hog was 375lbs and I had to cut and sharpen, cut and sharpen. Thats when I learned about the box cutter. Works like a charm.
On a big hog do you just take the backstraps? I was told that they were about the only thing worth saving on a 400+/- hog.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:25 AM

i save all of it as long as you dont get the hog really worked up the meat will be fine slow cook it and chill it for about 48 hours before cutting it up.as all wild wild game its all in your personal taste and the way u prepare your meal.i personally dont soak any game before i cook it.but im a coon ass from south la.

thanks for responding
Old 09-14-2006, 07:50 AM
Fork Horn

Some of the meat from a hog that big may not be the best but it is still worth saving. You can use it for sausage or just plain ground. however you do it is all good! It is a good problem to have.
Old 09-14-2006, 03:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Big hogs I take backstrap, loin, and both hams. Every now and then Ill keep the ribs. I cure out all the meat on a big hog with a honey cure. That is before I smoke or bbq them. They all turn out real good. You can also soak the meat in ice water. After you cut it up, put it in an ice chest full of ice water, replace the water and add ice everday until the meat has bleed out. It will taste great.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can also soak the meat in ice water. After you cut it up, put it in an ice chest full of ice water, replace the water and add ice everday until the meat has bleed out. It will taste great.
We do the same thing and the meat tastes great.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: wjrich63

recently i saw a hog skinned by using a box cutter set about a 1/8 in they cut about 6in stips all the way down then just pulled the strips off. has anyone ever done this. it seemed alot slower to me.plus once you got around the neck you had several strips to deal with. i reckon change is good but i still like the old fashioned way.

any thoughts on this

Works great, I use this kind of blade found in all hardware stores, or a gut hook knife. I bought the knife that folds like a folding knife, I use one of these blade and it's amazing how easy it is.

Quick Reply: skinning echs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.