Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Questions about Hog hunting and dressing!

Old 08-28-2006, 03:17 PM

Default Questions about Hog hunting and dressing!

I just moved to Oklahoma, and I'm preparing for my first hog hunt. Are there any special considerations in field dressing (ie: gland removal, etc)? What about skinning/ hair removal? Any suggestions on butchering and curing times would also be helpful.

Are there any hunting techniques and strategies that work better for hogs (particularly camo and/or scents)?

Thanks for your input!
Old 08-29-2006, 03:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Questions about Hog hunting and dressing!

welcome here..........i would answer ya and set ya with links, but i have to get ready for work......the best thing i can say is look at the older threads, you'll find everything you are looking for in them......
Old 08-29-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Nothing different than a deer. Just a lot thicker skin and lot more fat under the skin. No glands like a picker (javolina). Just wear gloves. Just like domestic hogs, there is a chance one could have hook worms. Bristilosis is also becomeing an issue. I have yet to hear of it here in North West Texas, but it is something Ive read about.

Hogs sight is weak, but nose is very strong. Hunt the wallows, rubs, water, or over food. Lots of post have been made on here about it, if you do a search you will find a wealth of info. Good luck.
Old 08-29-2006, 01:24 PM

I have read the majority of the threads on hogs, but still feel a little unprepared on a few issues.

- To skin or not to skin ( I have heard yes to both). Store-bought ham has skin on it but no hair. What do most of you do?

- With their keen smell, do you mask your scent? If so, what works well.

- Do they have any sort of 'musk gland' to be removed? If so where are they located?

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-29-2006, 04:02 PM

skin them these aren't domestic hogs we're talking about lots more hair
Old 08-30-2006, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

yes, mask you scent.....without a doubt.......
i'd skin em too......
no glands that i know about, lol.....never heard of one havinga gland...maybe i'm missing something, lol.....ring the pooty and gut it like a deer, if there's a gland hiding somewhere , it'll come out...
just be careful......

NEXT QUESTION.......lol...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:34 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: FRIAR

I have read the majority of the threads on hogs, but still feel a little unprepared on a few issues.

- To skin or not to skin ( I have heard yes to both). Store-bought ham has skin on it but no hair. What do most of you do?

- With their keen smell, do you mask your scent? If so, what works well.

- Do they have any sort of 'musk gland' to be removed? If so where are they located?

Thanks for your help!
Skin them.

They are not pickery, so they do not have a musk gland.dont worry about one.

Hunt them like deer, play the wind.

Old 08-30-2006, 10:37 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: huntnma

yes, mask you scent.....without a doubt.......
Yep! I rub myself down with Twinkies!
i'd skin em too......
Dead or alive?
no glands that i know about, lol.....never heard of one havinga gland...maybe i'm missing something,
Yep! Right behind the rear legs!

lol.....ring the pooty and gut it like a deer,
Ring the What?

if there's a gland hiding somewhere , it'll come out...
just be careful......
Yeah! You might get Squrited!

NEXT QUESTION.
For all the above, how about if is a Sow instead of a Boar?

SORRY MA, THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!

Old 09-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

oh lmao reb.........a pooty is a butthole, like you are sometimes
skin it dead, all things must die before they are skinned.i saw a peta video where they took lil critters and skinned them alive, it was sooo sad, btu it happened in another country, not here......not that it couldnt happen here, but i would prefer to think that kind of cruelity doesnt exsist here, lol.......
well a boar isn't much different, just got to go around things differently, lol...
if he wants to bring it to me, i'kll give him a first hand lesson how to clean a hog...lol........and it's ok, if you get squirted, just gag/throw up and wash it off.....them males can be NASTY when it comes to things squirting on ya, but i never thought it was a gland, lol......ewy, chiillbumps.....ewy.........a very large one maybe, but not what i had pictured, lol.........
Old 09-01-2006, 08:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.askthemeatman.com/seasonings.htmWill help you and show you how to field dress a hog.

I know I am a bit crude, but I usually just cut out the shoulders and hams and the back-strap, and leave the rest for the buzzards.. ... There isn't anything else in a small hog for me to eat anyway.. And if your going to skin one, it's not big deal, just have a sharp knife and don't get in a big hurry.

Quick Reply: Questions about Hog hunting and dressing!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.