Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Shot Placement

Old 08-14-2006, 01:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default Shot Placement

I was wondering where is the best place to shoot a hog? I always thought behind the shoulder was the best place, but recently I have heard diff. I have heard head and lower neck also. Thanks for any replies.
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shot Placement

.In the ear or behind the ear will hit the Brain!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Great pic Reb. As you can see, low and behind the shoulder is my favorite. Just stay our of the shield. With a rifle, the shield is not as big of an issue. Or that has been my experience.
Old 08-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Typical Buck

I hit the shield once with a .50 blackpowder, 80 yards and the dang hog ran away into the grass. There was a small blood trial but not enough for me to follow into the grass at night. I came back the next morning and searched and searched just to come up empty? I always wondered if he survived that shot? Never saw a limping hog since, so who knows?
Old 08-15-2006, 01:05 PM
Fork Horn

Awsome picture of vitals Reb. If you have confidence in your shot, take the ear shot. It usually drops them in their tracks, and it dosent wast any meat.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hit the shield once with a .50 blackpowder, 80 yards and the dang hog ran away into the grass. There was a small blood trial but not enough for me to follow into the grass at night. I came back the next morning and searched and searched just to come up empty? I always wondered if he survived that shot? Never saw a limping hog since, so who knows?
We've shot large boars that have had 5 or more scars from bullets in the shield from being shot before. We've shotone with a .35 Remington from 65 yards and you couldn't tellit was hit. It was running and never showed any sign of being hit until it dropped. We found the bullet lodged in the shield on the far side. We counted over 6 bullets scars on it's shield that had healed.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I guess I need to change my reply. I have too had 45 acp knock a hog over when shot in the shield, but not take it down. It took a second head shot to dispatch it. I was going by my personal experience, and when I go for hogs with a rifle, the smallest I use is a 30-06. And I have not used it in years. All the hogs Ive shot with a rifle in the last 7 years have been with my 300 wby.My 300 has no problem problem punching the shield, and everything else for that matter. But yea, I could see some calibers having a difficult timepunching the shield.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like thshot from behind the short ribs angling forward to the other shoulder with a bow or x-bow. the behind the ear shot is deadly with almost any gun. Lee
Old 08-15-2006, 05:47 PM

dont take a headshot if you want to mount it though, Id say, cause I always thought a boar makes an awesome head mount

-Travis-
Old 08-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: CtHunter8

dont take a headshot if you want to mount it though, Id say, cause I always thought a boar makes an awesome head mount

-Travis-
465lbs, 1990

Quick Reply: Shot Placement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.