Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

When do you see hogs in the day?

Old 08-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default When do you see hogs in the day?

I'm in texas and its so dang hot that all the hogs come out at night. What is the maximum tempature that you start seeing hogs come out in the morning and evenings?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:34 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: When do you see hogs in the day?

Early morning and late afternoons. Sometimes in the middle of the day.I'm in CentralFL and it gets in the 95's and 98's most of the times in Sept..
Old 08-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I saw one yesterday at noon in Jayton Tx., 103 degrees. But normally, likeReb mentioned, early morning and right at dark. The best time of the year to see them in the day is near the end of winter/start of spring. Or at least that is what I have noticed in the past 25+ years here in North West Texas. I have accounted it to the limited amount of food by the end of the winter. With that said, Ive seen them in all situations. Kinda crazy animals to try to pattern. I give up on them in the summer. It is just too hot and too hard to clean them and get them on ice quick enough. I have spot lighted them before and Ive noticed that they move best in summer at about 4:30 to 6:30 am. I have put on a drive for friends before in the summer during the day and had luck. But that is limited to topography.

Cold clear days, light showers, and cold front will also get them moving in the day.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Man, if you want to see hogs in FL, just drive on I-75 from Naples to Lake City, FL!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Lol. I hear ya. Most of the hogs I see are when im on the road.
Old 08-11-2006, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

thats wierd cause i always drive around with spotlights and all i see is deer. I know there are hogs cause look at these photos.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Fork Horn

The last time I was at my lease i drove down to a pond to see how much waterwas in it. When i walked up to it i saw a hog laying down in the water. I snuck back to the truck and grabbed my bow. I snuck back and got within ahout 35 yards of the boar. When i drew back the glare of the sun caused me to not be able to see through my peep sight. The hog looked up and ran off to about 60 yards out and i shot. The arrow went inches from where i was aiming. So since i knew hogs where coming to this pond i went and got one of the traps up at camp and set it by the pond. The next morning the trap door was pushed out the opposite way and there was blood on the hinges from where the hog must have busted his nose trying to get out. So i spent an hour renforcing the cage and hopefully this weekend i'll catch him!
Old 08-11-2006, 03:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Early morning and late afternoons.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Water is a great place to set up. Especially in the heat. Hogs have to come to the water more often when it is hot. No when that is, is the million dollar question.
Old 08-12-2006, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

We hunt mostly early and late on our ranch, but some of the young guys want to do stalk hunts during the middle of the day. In 100 degree weather you just about have to step on the brushpile the are in to get them to move. This can result in some really hairy moments, but we kill a lot of hogs this way. Sure makes it hard on an old fat guide though.

Quick Reply: When do you see hogs in the day?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.