Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Meat Question

Old 06-27-2006, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hog Meat Question

I have a chance to do some hog hunting in northern La. in late summer. I've heard stories that the meat is not good that time of year due to worms in it. Any truth to this?? Thanks
Old 06-27-2006, 08:16 AM

Default RE: Hog Meat Question

Not that I am aware of I have killed hogs and ate them year round fro several years. Make sure you wear gloves (Latex or Rubber) when cleaning them feral pigs carry diseases that can be spread to humans from their Reproductive organs.

Joeypii
Old 06-27-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: aw shucks

I have a chance to do some hog hunting in northern La. in late summer. I've heard stories that the meat is not good that time of year due to worms in it. Any truth to this?? Thanks
The meat spoils quicker this time of the year and you have to ice it quick. As far as worms, not in the meat. The only thing is like Joeypii mentioned, they may or may not carry Trichina. Always wear disposeable gloves when butching, cause you might have a nick on some fingers or hand and the Trichina can enter your blood stream.

See, if you were Jewish, you wouldn't even think of eating pork!
Old 06-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, kinda what I thought. I hope to do a rack of ribs in your honor lol
Old 06-27-2006, 09:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Send Tigerfana PM, he hunts NW Louisiana.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have a hog hunting ranch in N.E. Texas. Had hunters last weekend kill 5 hogs. All were good clean meat. We cooked a small one (about 50 pounds} on the smoker. It was execellent. We have never had probeblems with worms, but like Rebel Hog said, you need to get them dressed and on ice quickly this time of year, and allways wear gloves. You can usually tell if the meat is good by the smell. Ocassionally you will get a big ol boar that will be pretty rank, but most people want either a meat hog or a trophy mount. Hogs 200 pounds or less are usually good table fare, at least that has been my experience.
Old 06-27-2006, 02:09 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dhays

I have a hog hunting ranch in N.E. Texas. Had hunters last weekend kill 5 hogs. All were good clean meat. We cooked a small one (about 50 pounds} on the smoker. It was execellent. We have never had probeblems with worms, but like Rebel Hog said, you need to get them dressed and on ice quickly this time of year, and allways wear gloves. You can usually tell if the meat is good by the smell. Ocassionally you will get a big ol boar that will be pretty rank, but most people want either a meat hog or a trophy mount. Hogs 200 pounds or less are usually good table fare, at least that has been my experience.
dhays, haven't seen you around here! Welcome Partner!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:30 PM

Even down here in sweltering Florida, I eat them all year round. If you get'em in the shade quick, even without ice they last longer than you would think and are still good. The faster you cool them the better though, of course. Like Rev said, where the gloves. I always have them in my pack. You don't want to get hog herpes....it never goes away!!
Old 06-27-2006, 07:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard that pookie too, about all animals. I've killed rabbits in the dead of winter ice and snow on the ground and had monster worms crawling in them. If they are infested with worms they will be year around.
I have a small pig in my cooler right now bleeding out that was about 80 pounds and will be consumed shortly.....

I keep gloves in my back pack regardless of what I am cleaning. It's easier to take off those gloves and discard them, and clean up with handy wipes, than to find a place to clean up in the field.
Old 06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the welcome Rebel Hog. I just found this web site. Looks like a good one to get and share information. Lots of knowledgable folks from what I have read so far. Hunting, fishing, and talking about hunting and fishing. Ain't we fortunate to live in the U.S.A. God is good!

Quick Reply: Hog Meat Question

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.