Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Meat Question

Old 06-27-2006, 09:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Meat Question

Emmm swamp hogs. I have some land 30 miles south of Alexandrea in Turkey Creek LA.. I have not been there in years. Last hog I killed there was with a funnel and knives. Have not seen it done in years. As for your question, the meat will be ok as long as you get it on Ice right away. I do most of my hunting in Texas now, and most of the hogs I shoot are before deer season and after. Here in North West Texas, it stays hot. I have a ham cureing right now from a hog I shot in spring when it was 95 degrees. We ate the other ham, back straps, loin, and ribsa month ago at a campout from this hog, it was great. I will be getting out soon as I can to get another, since this is the last of my hog meat. Just do as others have said, wear gloves and get it on ice right away.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:17 AM

this all sounds like great advice, but if i might add if you have a good haul out of the woods i would field dress right away, it really cuts out the smell in the meat.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:20 AM

mr. hays, do you have some dates avail. my youngin is begging me to bring her back out
Old 06-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Fork Horn

Wjrich, would love for you and your daughter to come back and hunt with us. The last time yall came was the last time it rained here. Maybe I should pay you? I only have 3 hunts booked for July-August so far. I am running a Summer Special 100.00 a day now thru the end of August. Let me know when you want to come. Tell Christina And your buddy from Arkansas that came, Jeff and Donnie said howdy. You can E-mail me at [email protected] or call 903-249-4850. Thanks, Donnie
Old 07-03-2006, 01:20 AM

I have a chance to do some hog hunting in northern La. in late summer. I've heard stories that the meat is not good that time of year due to worms in it. Any truth to this?? Thanks
Like everone has said, you need to get the meat cold as quickly as possible. This is with all meat regaurdless of sex. When people talk about a wild taste in meat it is because the meat was not gutted and cooled quick enough. Rigamortis starts the second the heart stops beating, so cool it off as quick as possible.

No worms that I know of, I have never seen one with worms. Good luck
Old 07-03-2006, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tigerfan

This is with all meat regaurdless of sex. When people talk about a wild taste in meat it is because the meat was not gutted and cooled quick enough.
Yep! If I don't completely dress it out and I am heading back home on a long trip, I stop and buy a couple of ice bags and place them in the cavity. Deer or hogs!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 AM

Donnie,

Let's network, send me a Pm with your season schedule!