Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Old 06-03-2006, 12:11 AM

Default Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Hi all hog heads. I was in SE Oklahoma, in the Ouachita Mountains. My buddy and I were walking along the creek. I had my savage 110 in '06 with corelokt 180 grain loads I saw a big hog around 350-400 lbs at 150 yards. The big hog (along with a smaller hog) was wading in the creek up to his belly. I had a pretty good rest (rice paddy prone as I was in the creek also). I fired and thought I made a good shot. When I fired, the hogs scattered. I was pretty sure I saw the big one jerk before they ran. As he was in the crrek when I fired, there was no blood spoor from the initial hit but I was sure I would see some blood from where they ran up the bank. But I could find no blood spoor anywhere. We looked and looked but it is vwery thick in the Ouachitas and we had to crawl through the brush. Then it occured to me. I never heard a squeal. All of the hogs I have shot (2) or seen shot by others (1) let out a squeal when hit.\
Question: Do hogs always squeal when hit? I am sure I could have missed. But it was pretty close and I verified zero after we couldn't find the hog. I was pretty sure I hit him behind the shoulder and a little high. Should have been at least a lung shot.
Have you guys ever shot a hog that didn't squeal?
okcmco
Old 06-03-2006, 04:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Only if the local police is there,after that they will snitch ya out! []Really i have only taken a few and none sqealed when my arrow and broadhead hit them.[8D]
Old 06-03-2006, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

i've gotten one with my bow and one with my shotgun that didnt squeal....the bow hog just grunted and the other didnt make a sound,it just dropped.....
Old 06-03-2006, 08:26 AM

took one with my 22mag once, put it in his ear and he let out a short sqeel. I have seen others take them and wound them and they will grunt and squel up until they ge to weak. i hate not killing any animal in one shot, i am very picky on shots/shot placement
Old 06-03-2006, 10:31 AM

not usually from my experence though i've only shot two but i have killed a truck load more with my knife.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

That's funny, we drop something on our toe or hit our thumb with a hammer and we squeal, curse and sometimes get teary eyed. A hog takes it like a real Pig!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

That's funny, we drop something on our toe or hit our thumb with a hammer and we squeal, curse and sometimes get teary eyed. A hog takes it like a real Pig!
Thats funny Reb... So, a man squeals like a pig, and a pig squeals like a pig.. does that mean they are smarter than us?
Old 06-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Dominant Buck

You never heard the expression, "I'm going to make you Squeal like a pig"?
Old 06-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Duelling banjos
Old 06-03-2006, 05:21 PM

I have noticed that sows seem to squeal more than boars. Just my observation. Some make no noise, some grunt, some squeal....it just depends. I hate to make you feel worse, but you probably hit that pig. I learned my lesson early on. I was in the same situation you were in, but it was at about 15 yds and there was no way I could have missed, but I shot him on a white sand road and convinced myself that I missed cause there was no blood. It wasn't until I found a few hogs that had been shot by both slugs and arrows that didn't bleed.12 guage slugs.....no blood. That fatty skin and guts loves to seal the whole quick.I did extensive body searches and eventually found them hidden under the heaviest cover you could imagine without ever finding a drop of blood execpt where they came to rest. It was because it was so heavy that I looked there. Sometimes you can use a scent trail to get a general direction. If you get going after him right away, you can sometimes smell where he ran and gain a few yards on the search. That adrenaline will leave a real good scent trail almost like the smell of a gut shot. Strong enough that you don't need to be a dog to follow it, but a trail dog sure helps in those situations!

Quick Reply: Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.