Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Old 06-13-2006, 11:32 AM

Default RE: Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

Living in Southeastern Georgia, I have shot many pigs on our farm. Moreso to control the population than to actually hunt. They are a major nuisance here and can devastate a deer herd. I've noticed that the smaller the hog, the more likely it is to squeal. That said, any boar that I have shot that had any size to it, didn't squeal.

Your story sounded very familiar to many hunts that I have been apart of. Often I have put a hunter in an area to shoot a hog and they complained (even on small hogs of 150 lbs and less) that they must have missed the hog because they found no blood. As you are probably aware, pigs have a cartilage shield that is hard to penetrate underneath their skin. Even when the bullet exits, a pig's blood clots up very quickly. I have searched for pigs after a hunter thought he missed, only to find the dead pig after a lot of hard searching. The hunters are often miffed.

In my experience, pigs just don't always bleed even with large caliber weapons. Because of that, I always shoot pigs right behind the ear in an effort to break their neck. If you can make a quaity ahot, that is the shot to take. Having been on many a pig trail after the shot. I promise you, you don;t always find blood. I would say that based on your instinct that you thought you hit the pig... you probably did.
Old 06-13-2006, 12:07 PM

Default RE: Do Hogs Squeal when shot?

ORIGINAL: SkyJacker

Living in Southeastern Georgia, I have shot many pigs on our farm. Moreso to control the population than to actually hunt. They are a major nuisance here and can devastate a deer herd. I've noticed that the smaller the hog, the more likely it is to squeal. That said, any boar that I have shot that had any size to it, didn't squeal.

Your story sounded very familiar to many hunts that I have been apart of. Often I have put a hunter in an area to shoot a hog and they complained (even on small hogs of 150 lbs and less) that they must have missed the hog because they found no blood. As you are probably aware, pigs have a cartilage shield that is hard to penetrate underneath their skin. Even when the bullet exits, a pig's blood clots up very quickly. I have searched for pigs after a hunter thought he missed, only to find the dead pig after a lot of hard searching. The hunters are often miffed.

In my experience, pigs just don't always bleed even with large caliber weapons. Because of that, I always shoot pigs right behind the ear in an effort to break their neck. If you can make a quaity ahot, that is the shot to take. Having been on many a pig trail after the shot. I promise you, you don;t always find blood. I would say that based on your instinct that you thought you hit the pig... you probably did.
Exactly!!!! I have missed my opportunity at bringing home some nice pigs until I learned that. It was only after I found a few like Sky Jacker said, that I realized even a 12 guage slug at close range can leave nothing for you to go on. I search extra hard in all of the deepest cover in the area I shot that pig to find him. That's one of the reasons I tell bowhunters that in heavy cover in the South, a tough expandable is not a bad idea. I have seen fixed blades leave no blood before. That plate up front is our biggest enemy whether using a bullet or broadhead. Like Skyjacker said, aim for the neck and they dropfast with a bullet, with a broadhead...slip in behind the plate with a head that tears a huge hole and you'll have at least a bloodtrail. The number one thing I tell new hog hunters is......this ain't deer huntin!!!! Forget what you thought was right and start learning all over again!!