Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Negative attitude(s) about wild pork?

Old 04-20-2006, 02:45 PM

Default Negative attitude(s) about wild pork?

My Dad and husband love to hog hunt and, as a result, we have a lot of wild hog meat. In fact, between this and deer, about the only meat I buy is chicken. And we all love it. But I have had several people refuse to eat my pork roast or sausage that we have made because they don't want eat wild hog meat, some have been very vocal about the wild hog meat and the dangers they perceive from eating it (as in they think wild hogs have terrible diseases -- but they will eat deer meat), and some have just been out and out rude in their remarks about wild hog meat.

I am just wondering if this attitude is common? Has anyone else had negative responses from friends and others about eating wild pork?

Thanks for the input,
Shannon
Old 04-20-2006, 02:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Negative attitude(s) about wild pork?

Encyclopedia

trichinosis (trÄ*k'Ä*nÅ'sÄ*s) or trichiniasis (trikini'É™sÄ*s) , parasitic disease caused by the roundworm Trichinella spiralis. It follows the eating of raw or inadequately cooked meat, especially pork. The larvae are released, reach maturity, and mate in the intestines, the females producing live larvae. The parasites are then carried from the gastrointestinal tract by the bloodstream to various muscles, where they become encysted. It is estimated that 10% to 20% of the adult population of the United States suffers from trichinosis at some time. In many people the disease exhibits no symptoms and is discovered only at autopsy. In others it causes diarrhea and other gastrointestinal symptoms as the worms multiply in the digestive tract. When the larvae circulate through the bloodstream, the patient experiences edema, irregular fever, profuse sweating, muscle soreness and pain, and prostration. There may be involvement of the central nervous system, heart, and lungs; death occurs in about 5% of clinical cases. Once the larvae have embedded themselves in the muscle tissue, the cysts usually become calcified; however, the infestation usually causes no further symptoms except fatigue and vague muscular pains. There is no specific treatment.

You can contact Trichinosis when butchering and you have a small deep scratch or open wound on your hands.
Most of the time you can only tell if the animal is infested by blood testing it. I have been eating Wild pork for 50yrs and never have gotten sick, but we roast it in an outside openpit until it'sthoroughly cook. Temp 250-300*

[/align]

[/align][/align]
Old 04-20-2006, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

But I have had several people refuse to eat my pork roast or sausage that we have made because they don't want eat wild hog meat,
If you likeI will send you my address and you can send me all the wild pork you want

But you must first stop andremember thatpeople are just plain stupid they would much rather go to a super market and buy meat that has come from animals that have been given all sorts of drugs to make them bigger.

I am just wondering if this attitude is common? Has anyone else had negative responses from friends and others about eating wild pork?
For those stupid people mentioned above yes it is a common attitude but hey it only leaves more for us to eat right
Old 04-20-2006, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

[/align][/align]
Old 04-20-2006, 04:48 PM

have never had anyone refuse to eat my pork and everyone knows i've not baught any from a store in years
Old 04-20-2006, 06:12 PM

only had one mad say he didn't eat wild boar. his soninlaw and I cooked one whole on thanksgiving a few years ago. we were at the camp from Friday night till the following Sat. week. so we ate the whole hog. after it was almost all gone we told him what he had ate. of course he didn't believe us at first. then he said he guess he had been wrong all those years.

if someone mouths off to much to me about my meat and sasuage, I just tell them to stick it and set and watch while we eat.I give what I get.if they are just not sure or don't know except what they have heard, then I try to educate them and let them taste.if there smart arse , then I'm a really smart arse.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't worry about what people think too much... I only have one friend, and that is Ausey-guy, but he won't come to my house anyway.
Old 04-21-2006, 08:54 AM

So apparently I just have some snooty friends ... interesting! (hehe!) The first time I got this attitude was a friends then-girlfriend. The second time was wheb a woman I worked with (and considered to be a friend) wanted to try some of the stew that I had for lunch (knowing that I use deer and pork for stew meat) and literally spit it out when someone said something about you know that wild game in that don't you. Then, when I started hunting last year, there were several remarks by people I work with and others that I know about "What do you do with the meat?" (duh!)

When I was growing up it was accepted that if you or your family hunted there was no telling what was going to be on the table and it would not be on the table if it was dangerous or not fit to eat. I was just wondering if it was the times that were changing or if I had lived in a bubble my whole life and people had always felt this way. Sigh.

Thanks for all the input!
Shannon
Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
Dominant Buck

I have had friends like that, but once they try it, they love it. So many people have the idea that wild hogs areeat up with parasites. Hogs in general are suseptible to parasites, thus calling for being cooked well. Domestic or wild. I guess the nay sayers do not realize the difference between an animal that has been free rang and one pinned up to wallow in its own crap. Ill take the later of the two.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Some thing else. What i find real funny is how some people feel that by having someone else kill their meat after raising it in a pen makes it more healthy for you. Id love to take these types to a slaughter house. Or show them the quality of some of the animals halled into the slaughter house. Well I guess im not being fair, two years ago they required an animal be able to stand before it could be slaughtered. Till then, they could drag an animal inas long as it was breating.

Quick Reply: Negative attitude(s) about wild pork?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.