Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Sonoma County Hawg

Old 03-08-2006, 11:32 PM

Default Sonoma County Hawg

Got this badboy a couple weeks ago. Was waiting for my buddy to come over to my property to go hog hunting, but got the call that he was workin some overtime and was unable to make it. So I headed up on the ol' hill to do a little scouting, with my trusty ought-6 on my shoulder. Started walking the ridgelines, glassing for pigs. Nothing. Kept walking, coming up a hill where there was a tree beautifully set against the sunset sky, so I took out my camera and snapped a few shots. Put the camera away and took THREE more steps up the hill when I smelled hogs (you know the smell). Took ONE more step when they crested the hill coming down towards me, taking their time feeding. I instantly neeled down and froze. I kept thinking how stupid I was, MY GUN WAS NOT EVEN LOADED!!! I slowly opened the chamber, put three bullets in from the holder on the butt, and closed it, all being as quite as possible.

Knowing that none of my buddies would believe this story, I took out my camera again, and started snapping photos of the pigs. One of the smaller pigs saw my red light on the camera and gave out the distress call. They all began to bolt, I calmly stood up, acquired the hog that I was looking at when loading my gun, and he stopped and looked back at me, big mistake. Right through his eyes, dropped dead instantly, the other 8 pigs took off into the brush.

These photos look like it is pretty dark but they are just underexposed (Promise).

Old 03-08-2006, 11:34 PM

Default RE: Sonoma County Hawg

Four steps later...

Old 03-08-2006, 11:36 PM

Final product...

Old 03-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Good Job Dan, Congrat's!

Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey Dan, have you ever had some Bojangles Peach Wine from Georgia or Strawberry Wine form Plant City, FL. or Honey Wine from San Antonio, FL. or Tangerine Wine from Tampa, FL. or Water Melon Wine from Ruskin, FL.?
Old 03-09-2006, 12:50 AM

Can't say that I have. I am majoring in winemaking and winegrape growing (Enology and Viticulture) at Fresno State, CA. My folks grow winegrapes in Sonoma County for a living. That's why I'm the wineguy!

Those all do sound good though...

I did make a strawberry wine once, packed a helluva punch!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:21 PM

nice hog man.i just returned home to texas after 7mos work contract in santa rosa.my son and i trapped and killed this hog yesterday at my friends ranch.he's had quite a problem with hogs eating his cattle feed.my first time to use a trap,i borrowed it from a friend in south texas.and caught this beast the 1st night it was set up.i hope the picture uploaded ok.

Old 03-11-2006, 01:29 AM

phishman1520,

Damn, what work are you in? 7 mos. away from home is a long time. I am in Healdsburg (13 mi. North of Santa Rosa on 101). We also have a lot of hog problems, mainly in vineyards and surrounding areas.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:54 AM

nice looking hogs.love that hog hunting anyway you wanna do it.

I made 4 gal. of blackberry wine one time.it turned out pretty good,then my dad told me if I really wanted it to be tough, rework it a second time.

so I did and it would nock your hat off.everyone that drank it say it was great with a punch.it would burn without a flame.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Tree climber

nice looking hogs.love that hog hunting anyway you wanna do it.

I made 4 gal. of blackberry wine one time.it turned out pretty good,then my dad told me if I really wanted it to be tough, rework it a second time.

so I did and it would nock your hat off.everyone that drank it say it was great with a punch.it would burn without a flame.

Yep! You made Blackberry Brandy!

Quick Reply: Sonoma County Hawg

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.