Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Question for Florida Hog Hunters

Old 12-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Question for Florida Hog Hunters

Folks ,
I'm tired of striking out in the WMAs. I know there are deer and hogs in 3 bay heads for a certain. Am I thinking right that I need to actually go in those bayheads about 100 yds to score. I think so .I'm taking another teacher with me because actually I'm a little scared to go in a bayhead in the dark. What do yo all think?
Chuck
Old 12-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Question for Florida Hog Hunters

dont be scared, if i can do alone , you can too....i like to go into the heads , pick a tree and wait awhile...if nothing then i'll go looking for more and better sign, if nothing better i may sit there all day....if you're seeing a nice about of fresh sign i would just hang out there...
Old 12-01-2005, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Don't you agree though that the odds would be stronger hunting in the bayheads than outside of the bayheads. When I'm outside of the bayheads I hear them everytime walking through thge fields and into the bayheads. You can sit on the outside all day and nothing will come through..you may hear them stirring in there. I think it's time to go on in there and find them . Signs...big time and everywhere. Fresh crap and fresh foot prints daily. Hog and deer. Scary..yep moccasin city.

PS you said you like to hunt in there. About how far can ya get a shot off 10 yds.. LOL They are thick down here in central Florida. By the way I did have my illuminating tacks shining the way one year in there and I managed to carry a latter stand back in there. However; last years 3 hurricanes had added 2 feet of water to the stand's legs and I have not hunted it since. I plan to try it Sat. again. One thing for sure. Your stand won't be found in those bayheads. Very few hunt them tha tI know of.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:05 PM

chuck7 where do you live i hunt in ocala and what do you mean by bayheads?????
Old 12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
Dominant Buck

I live about 1 1.2 ours from you. You mostly have pines , sand and scrub oaks I understand. Here in the Green Swamp we have fields of palmettos , some pines and islands of cypress trees we call cypress heads . Acres of skinny cypress trees with about 1 - 3 feet of brackish water filled with snakes and possible gators. Teh deer and hogs stay there in the day time. Most of these bay heads are miles long.
Chuck7
Old 12-01-2005, 08:51 PM

I hunted the Green Swamp for the first time on Thanksgiving. I spent about two hours tracking hogs in a palmetto field off Powder Road and I admitt I was more than a little worried of running into something with fangs.I ended up following the trail intoastrand of cypress that I was not about to go in. I probably wouldhave been able to take a hog if I wouldhave but the thought of headinginto thatswamp was not pleasing. Basically, I know how you feel.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:14 AM
Dominant Buck

Hey.Brandon
..I was out there on Powder road at Thanksgiving too. Maybe we can hunt together sometime. I had written alot of details on here but ....I don't wan the whole world reading about this place so I deleted it.. I got a hog , a buck and 16 squirrels off Powder.

Yeah ..the game is there but I believe one has to find a decent spot in a Cypress Dome / Bayhead...same thing.
Chuck
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Chuck7

Don't you agree though that the odds would be stronger hunting in the bayheads than outside of the bayheads. When I'm outside of the bayheads I hear them everytime walking through thge fields and into the bayheads. You can sit on the outside all day and nothing will come through..you may hear them stirring in there. I think it's time to go on in there and find them . Signs...big time and everywhere. Fresh crap and fresh foot prints daily. Hog and deer. Scary..yep moccasin city.

PS you said you like to hunt in there. About how far can ya get a shot off 10 yds.. LOL They are thick down here in central Florida. By the way I did have my illuminating tacks shining the way one year in there and I managed to carry a latter stand back in there. However; last years 3 hurricanes had added 2 feet of water to the stand's legs and I have not hunted it since. I plan to try it Sat. again. One thing for sure. Your stand won't be found in those bayheads. Very few hunt them tha tI know of.
i live in central florida...i work and play in the woods....i hunt cypress heads/bayheads and marshes (alone) so i know a lil about the water levels(this year ihunted in 3.5deep water or at least it was above my knees most of the timeand guess what isaw hogs and does, that buck i was hunting never came out )and yes you will find my stand in them, that is why they are there, no one elses are there , lol......go in to them, you might not get a long shot, but what is more exciting than having a hog 10-20 feet from ya before you nail him...you'll find shooting lanes, believe me...what you can do is set up just within the head , enough so you can still the outside, find a trail that they have been using and set up there...
Old 12-02-2005, 05:14 AM

as huntnma said ; you go in a ways and find the trails they use. most of the time they stay just inside the thick stuff. in you go in in the middle of the day and scout till you find the trails they use and put a climber up and wait.you can get up 15 to 20 feet you can some times see the openings.just go up and look as you go,may have to come down some to get the right height.

put you some bright eyes to find you stand before light and set and wait.when the other hunters start to move on the outside they will start to go to the thick stuff (right into you shooting lanes)

there are snakes and gators in the swamps , but most of the time they hear you and move away.some want,thats the same in any spot you hunt.

I love to go into the "Dark Spots"; lots of game. [8D]
Old 12-02-2005, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Amen...As I was out walking from the parking lot yesterday that still small voice in my heart said the same thing.....if you wanta hog or deer ya have to go in there after them. I just wanted to hear it again from some of you tough swamp hunters. I will do it.

God bless,
Chuck

PS I love thjose illuminated thumb tacks .I showed them to Strut in Missouri...he likes them too. It's like a highway of lights going to your stand.

Quick Reply: Question for Florida Hog Hunters

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.