Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

Hog Problem?

Old 09-26-2005, 07:38 AM

Default Hog Problem?

Over the past couple of seasons, our deer lease has acquired a nice hog population. Problem is now, they seem overpopulated - rooting and eating up all of our food plots, corn, etc. Would like to kill several before season, but really hate to bring a bunch of shooting activity right before bow season. Anyone have this problem? and does it hurt your whitetail activity? Also, I assume the risk of walking up on a group in the dark increases - what's the risk of them charging you up a tree?

Old 09-26-2005, 07:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Hog Problem?

Get some bow hunters to kill as many as they can.
I'm sure it won't be hard to find a few bow hunters
that want to take all the hogs they want.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:19 AM

Sure. . .hogs tear stuff up. . .but you get to shoot them 24/7/365. I consider it a fair trade, they tear up my white tail efforts and I put bunches of them in my freezer. If your anywhere close to hill country texas, I would be happy to help you out.

If they get really out of hand then take the next step and set up a trap. . . .these cages will hold 6/8 at a time and you can put a dent in the numbers a bit faster. To think you will rid your place of them for good would be a pretty amazing feat.

Old 09-26-2005, 02:46 PM

ever have one charge at you?

Old 09-26-2005, 05:23 PM

git ya a good pack of dogs.

Old 09-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: tnhoundsman

git ya a good pack of dogs.

Old 09-26-2005, 10:39 PM

ORIGINAL: Georgetownboys

Sure. . .hogs tear stuff up. . .but you get to shoot them 24/7/365. I consider it a fair trade, they tear up my white tail efforts and I put bunches of them in my freezer. If your anywhere close to hill country texas, I would be happy to help you out.

If they get really out of hand then take the next step and set up a trap. . . .these cages will hold 6/8 at a time and you can put a dent in the numbers a bit faster. To think you will rid your place of them for good would be a pretty amazing feat.

Good idea if you have buddies who like hog roasts, you even get a chance to de-worm them and feed them good stuff until cooking time. Seen a few guys doing that the other day, had 4 hogs caged up in a mazda pickup, going to the farm to get sold to b-day parties.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

treblig
Where do you live? I would gladly come and shoot them with my bow for you before your season starts if you arnt to far of a distance away.
JOE
Old 09-27-2005, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: treblig

Over the past couple of seasons, our deer lease has acquired a nice hog population. Problem is now, they seem overpopulated - rooting and eating up all of our food plots, corn, etc. Would like to kill several before season, but really hate to bring a bunch of shooting activity right before bow season. Anyone have this problem? and does it hurt your whitetail activity? Also, I assume the risk of walking up on a group in the dark increases - what's the risk of them charging you up a tree?
Even if you kill every one you see, you will not make a dent in their population due to their reproductive ability. You might think you did if they become wiley for a while, but I assure you they will still be there. If you want to make a serious dent in their numbers, you must trap aggressively.

Aggressively hunting them year round on our 770 acres in South Texas, we averaged 20-30 hogs a year. Instituted a trapping program, and we're up to 40+ in 2 months. Even with this, I know we'll have to continue our efforts to keep them from rebounding.

Not killing them will hamper your hunting efforts for whitetail, as deer will abandon a feeder monopolized by hogs. We pen every corn feeder that we want deer to frequent; if we don't, all we see are hogs.
Old 09-28-2005, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rgarza is correct once you have hogs on your place you can't get rid of them. They will drive your deer off the feeders. We have them where we hunt and we hunt them year round as well as trapping them. Luckily for us them move around and seem to move out during deer season and return around January. We shoot as many as we can and we never seem to put a dent in the population.

Quick Reply: Hog Problem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.