Community
Hogs and Exotics Gun or bow, you can stretch your season and fill the freezer with wild hogs and an assortment of exotics.

How do you cook your hog?

Old 08-30-2005, 08:03 PM

Default How do you cook your hog?

I tried something the other day that turned out pretty good. We were having a catfish fry for the office. I took some backstrap off a boar I killed in the spring and cut it thin, about a 1/2 inch. Threw it in some meal/salt/pepper and tossed it in the hot deep fry (peanut oil) for about 6 minutes. It was good! I had several people ask me what it was and commented on how good it was. That was a big departure from how I normally prepare it but it was a pleasant surprise.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:44 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How do you cook your hog?

I do mine like the Chinese: Dig a pit in the ground, I fill the pit to the topwith
Oak limbs, start the fire going and wait for the pit to glow red with Oak charcoal,
place a baby bed box spring over the pit, place the pig which has been hair scraped
while placing scalding hot soaked burlap sacks on it to make the scraping easier,
have a 5gal bucket of Kirbys "Mojo" Marinade and a long handle paint brush for
marinating the pig, after that I place roofing tin over the pig. Every half hour or so
I lift tin and keep marinating it, till done!

I forgot to mention, after scraping the hair off, gut andhose off good.Iroast the pig
with the head, feet and tail. Many families will be doing this in a few months for the
Christmas holidays. White rice, Black beans, Yuca, Cuban bread and Roast pork.
Oh man, what a feast!!!

Old 08-31-2005, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

I quarter them up, and cook slowing on a bed of hot coals. Marinade them with some special apple vinagar sauce I make.... Made some yesterday for my birthday, served them up with some potato salad and red beans... Make a man go blind!!!!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: The Rev

I quarter them up, and cook slowing on a bed of hot coals. Marinade them with some special apple vinagar sauce I make.... Made some yesterday for my birthday, served them up with some potato salad and red beans... Make a man go blind!!!!
Sounds good, Happy B-day Rev.

I like to brine cure the hams and then smoking them for about 8 hours give or take(depending on size.)
Old 08-31-2005, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

we marinate ours with a bunch of different sauces that i can't remember what they're call right now. then we slow barbque it for quite a number of hours. very good stuff to say the least.
Old 08-31-2005, 03:36 PM

80% of the time i would say i Pit roast mine. Set my pit on 420degrees for around 8hours and let'em cook. I have used all kinds of rubs/seasonings/marinades, rite now i am on a RUdy's Rub kick very nice seasoning. .I am in the process of building a pit JUST for pig roasting. Will be trailer mounted and have all the bells and whistles. BIG 6'x36" pipe pit with a 3'x3' fire box with propane burner for those wet logs, HUGE 5' single door with pully assist, and a 4" drain with threaded cap on the bottom for easy cleaning. I will also have a 4'x3' woodbox mounted on the front and a 2burner fish frier and sink just in case. She should be a nice one (and my first) and hope to have her done sometime before our big November cookoff/no later than our December BBQ. 20% of the time i put them in the ground (these always taste better, maybe its just me)
Old 09-01-2005, 04:09 PM
Dominant Buck

Has anyone used one of these?

Old 09-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Dominant Buck

The Cubans use two small chain-link gates and attache long pipes for handles.

Old 09-01-2005, 04:23 PM
Dominant Buck

Old 09-01-2005, 04:53 PM

y didnt i think of the cinder block idea =) haha i build a nice hibatchi grill outta firebricks, THOS cost some $$.

Quick Reply: How do you cook your hog?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.