Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

375-R.U.M. I love this gun!

Old 04-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 375-R.U.M. I love this gun!

I picked up a 375-Remington Ultra Mag about 4-months ago. I have been shooting it at the range off & on since then.
I found the right load last week. The recoil is stout to say the least! Finding the right load has taken some time due to the heavy recoil.
My pet load is 100-grains of H-4831SC, Fed-215 primers, topped with 260-grain Nosler Accubonds. I have three targets with 3-shot groups that are 1/2" to 3/4"-groups.
I will only fire this rifle from the standing or prone position from this point forward. I have taken a beating from the bench to get to this point. I can't wait to see the results on black bear, deer , elk & antelope.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 375-R.U.M. I love this gun!

That thing is a lot more ideally suited for cape buffalo and bigger stuff than anything, but for those that can handle it, it's a lot of gun for anything you wish to hunt. I've shot deer with the .375 H&H and it's a ways back down the scale from the Rem Ultra Mag.....Frankly it wasn't a good performer because the bullets for it are much to heavy of jacket and don't open well. Try Hornady's 220 flat point in it for the whitetail soup in your future.....you might not have to gut them!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 12:24 PM

Sound like a good gun but how much does it weight wouldn't want to carry it and the ammo on an elk hunt.
Old 04-28-2005, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like you got it shooting very well........I know how it is to finally find a load for a gun. I have often thought about aquiring one of them, but I cant think of any animal that I personally would need it for. About the biggest animal I could see myself hunting is a moose, and my 300 RUM will work for that.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sound like a good gun but how much does it weight wouldn't want to carry it and the ammo on an elk hunt.
You would have to lookup the weight on the Remington site. My rifle is the standard weight/frame that all Model-700's magnums are from.
My rifle is the Model-700 BDL Deluxe with 26" barrel. There is no added weight to this rilfe except rings, bases & scope.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have often thought about aquiring one of them, but I cant think of any animal that I personally would need it for.
I could not think of any animal I will "need" this rifle for either?
I wanted a big rifle so I got one. Over time I am sure I will get tired of the extra recoil. Until then I plan on hunting everything with it.