Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best gun cleaner?

Old 04-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Fork Horn

Default best gun cleaner?

I went to walmart the other day and bought the cheapest gun cleaner for the oz. It is call gun scrubber it is amazing I just used it on one gun but it does have high pressure and smells so safety googles and breating mask needed for indoors. My dad had to drive to work on a road that was freshly tarred about 7 months ago and we used alot of products to get the tar off, couple sprays and boom it was gone

I shot trap tonight with that gun I used with Gun Scrubber and the barrel is clean! After 50 rounds not 1 speck of Fiocci gun powder left in the barrel and I shot a 21 and 25
Old 04-26-2005, 08:14 PM

Default RE: best gun cleaner?

Ok for shotguns...not good enough for rifles. Regards, Rick.
Old 04-27-2005, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive used just about every cleaner out there, still havent found that miracle formula yet. Glad you did. so far the best ones for general cleaning is Kroil or hoppes #9, but they fall in the line with all the others when it comes to getting out severe lead fouling, for severe lead fouling i found JB bore paste to work the best. as for shotguns, they dont take much to get the bore sparkling clean what i do is take a mop attachment lightly spray with rem oil run it through 3 or 4 times and call it good.
Old 04-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gun Scrubber is great! Talk about a time saver. I always clean my bores first with Hoppes and/or Bore Scrubber. Then I blast out the action with the Gun Scrubber, blow it dry with compressed air, oil as needed, and then blow out any excess with some more air.

I'm not terribly concerned with having a spotless bore. As long as I get most of the lead and copper out, I'm happy. Having groups .25" smaller won't make a bit of difference on a deer's lungs.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

JMHO,But nothing replaces good old elbow grease..The Gun Scrubber is great for cleaning trigger assemblys actions ,Does pretty good on the inside of a bolt without stripping it.It cleans has enough blast power to blow away grit and grime from most surfaces anywhere dirt and oil has mixed and formed crude this stuff will remove it and leave the surface bone dry and clean.add a little lube and you are right on time.Kroil is the magic juice for anything.
Old 04-27-2005, 05:38 PM
Fork Horn

try coppermelt it is expensive but it works good in my opinion www.coppermelt.com
Old 04-27-2005, 11:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gunscrubber is OK, I have a jar of it, but don't use it much any more as there are better things out there now.

The best ones I've used were Outers Foaming Bore Cleaner, and Hoppes Elite (which I understand is the same as MPro-7)

Also have tried:
Breakfree CLP- I use this stuff when I'm feeling lazy- run a few patches witht he stuff through the bore, then a damp patch through and store the rifle for a couple of days or weeks and reclean.
Hoppes No. 9- It says on the bottle 'Nitro Solvent' and it seems that this is about about all that it will disolve, though I removed some leading from a shotgun barrel once with it, I like the smell, but don't use it much anymore.
Butch's Bore Shine- good stuff works fairly aggressively on copper fouling, stinky.
Kano Kroil- I use it the same way as CLP, weth the bore, let it sit for a period of time- it slowly works its way under the fouling but its stinky.
Old 04-28-2005, 12:23 PM

I believe, the best cleaner is the man behind the cleaning rod. Some people go to extremes on cleaning there guns,and other don,t clean enough. I like Hoppes #9 myself. One can put wear on rifling by too much cleaning as well so. vangunsmith
Old 04-28-2005, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: vangunsmith

I believe, the best cleaner is the man behind the cleaning rod. Some people go to extremes on cleaning there guns,and other don,t clean enough. I like Hoppes #9 myself. One can put wear on rifling by too much cleaning as well so. vangunsmith
Have you tried wipe out?? Spray in the barrel...a 2 sec squirt will do, leave alone for an hour or two, jag with clean patches, brush with Butches 5 strokes, jag with clean patches...done....copper, lead and all residue gone. Then a light coat of Hoppes for storing. No more scrubbing with brushes all day. Try it, you'll like it. Regards, Rick.